Keeping fretboard flat with neck reset

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Steven Williams

Keeping fretboard flat with neck reset

Post by Steven Williams »

I have an old (1970) custom made flat top acoustic steel string guitar. It needs a neck reset which I can do myself. My question is: If you have to tilt the neck downwards at the headstock end, how do you deal with the angled gap that will be created under the fretboard extension over the body? I want to keep the fretboard level from end to end but I can't picture how this would be possible. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Brian Evans

Re: Keeping fretboard flat with neck reset

Post by Brian Evans »

From what I understand you can either put a wedge under the fretboard, or if the gap is quite small you can just glue the fretboard down to the top and level the fret board and refret.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

On many guitars that need a neck reset, the fingerboard extension is a bit of a ski ramp already so pulling the neck back will actually straighten the alignment.
MIMF Staff
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

If there does end up being a gap when the fretboard is straight then I put in a wedge. Here's one on a late 60's Martin size 0.
20180914_085136.jpg

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”