Issue with hot hide blue - very "runny."

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Simon Magennis

Issue with hot hide blue - very "runny."

Post by Simon Magennis »

First time I have every had this issue.

My usual method is make a batch of glue, set it set and then cut up the "jello" into little chunks which I keep in the fridge. I followed this for a new batch and it worked ok. I decided to transfer the stuff I had in the fridge to the freezer to see how that would work out. I found that on reheating it was very runny/watery. It seem to stick ok but I wasn't happy so I made up a new batch as usual last night. I didn't put it in the fridge and took a chunk this morning to use. It a was even runnier than the batch from the freezer.

The only change I can think of is that this is a new location and the water treatment is definitely different than in my previous location. I am not sure where our water comes from here. Are there any known water treatment additives the cause issues with h.h.g? The salt content might be higher here than typical as it is a seaside location.

I am in the process of making a a couple of small samples to see if there is a remedy. One thought it to use water saved from the dehumidifier. It has been run long enough that any chemicals from the manufacturing process should be gone by now.

I had a look at this thread already for some inspiration: http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 81&p=49667
Chris Reed

Re: Issue with h.h.g. - very "runny."

Post by Chris Reed »

Salt is used to slow down the gelling time, so I suppose that might make the glue runnier.

You could always buy a bottle of spring water (not mineral water) from the supermarket and use that to see if it makes a difference.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Chris Reed wrote:Salt is used to slow down the gelling time, so I suppose that might make the glue runnier.

You could always buy a bottle of spring water (not mineral water) from the supermarket and use that to see if it makes a difference.
Or distilled. . .
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Problem solved. Not at all what I though it was. Operator error. :-)

I usually heat up my glue in plastic yoghurt tubs. Turns out that the ones here (Spain) are even thinner than what I am used to in Germany. So what was happening is that after using a bit of the glue the plastic was cracking and letting in water from the bottom. No wonder it was so "runny" - it was mainly water. Maybe it is finally time to invest on some sort of decent glue pot.
Randy Roberts

Re: Issue with hot hide blue - very "runny."

Post by Randy Roberts »

Return to “Glues and Finishes”