1954 Gretsch Truss Rod & Neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Rob Carty

Re: 1954 Gretsch Truss Rod & Neck

Post by Rob Carty »

LOL, it so happens I have half a dozen friends who are dentists ... :)
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

Well, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we decided to see how she'd do with 009-gauge strings (which is what my buddy usually uses) and a Synchro-Sound bridge he'd bought before bringing it over to me. The bridge was a touch too high, so I removed the thumbwheels and used some thin washers as shims. Not as convenient as the thumbwheels, but effective. I also had to put some nuts on top of the posts to keep them from vibrating.

Bottom line, the action is a skosh high -- and I mean just a touch -- but despite everything, it's still quite playable without any buzzing. I'm really surprised how comfortable it is. That said, my buddy still hasn't come by to play it, so the jury is technically still out.

I'll post some photos as soon as I can take them. Thanks again for everyone's insights. I still want to fix that truss rod ... maybe someday.
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

Here's a pic. I added a bit of saturation so you can see the figuring ... and 63 years of sweat stains. Like I said, this baby has gigged all over the planet.
Attachments
1954 Gretsch CC.jpg
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

One more notable thing about this guitar. You can see it in action on Pam Tillis's "Spilled Perfume" video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXH9zr9LPc
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Ha ha, one of my friends just showed me a picture of him and his first grade class, Pam Tillis was in it with him.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

LOL ... small world. So do you and I have one or two degrees of guitar separation?
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

One more. I gave Jesse Dayton access to my Google Drive and he posted one of my pics on Instagram. It gives a little more history on this very interesting instrument. (He gets the year wrong, but he hasn't owned it in decades.)
Attachments
Attach14426_20171014_115936.jpg

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”