Neck pocket without any routing?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Rob Carty

Neck pocket without any routing?

Post by Rob Carty »

Okay, I'm at my wit's end here. Years ago, I saw a video of a guy who fashioned perfect neck pocket without cutting or carving anything. Honestly, I think it may have been here on MIMF -- but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Long story short, the guy fashioned the neck joints by gluing the body pieces together in such a way as to leave a perfectly-sized pocket to accept the neck. I failed to bookmark it. Dozens of searches on this forum, on Google, and on YouTube have yielded bupkis.

If this rings a bell to you, would you mind pointing me in the right direction? I feel like Mr. Magoo over here. :oops: THANK YOU!
David King

Re: Neck pocket without any routing?

Post by David King »

Rob, this sounds like a pretty simple process to undertake. Start with a neck shaft that's tapered and long enough to pass all the way through the body. Pin the neck blank and your body wings on either side of the shaft into the back slab. Cut the neck shaft in two at the back of the desired neck pocket and glue up your body. Typical bolt-on neck is 3/4" thick (not including the fingerboard thickness of 1/4") and the typical pocket is 5/8" deep. Since the typical body is 1-5/8" thick your back plate will be 1" thick and the wings will be 5/8" thick.
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

Oh I agree, I could probably figure out my own way in a jiffy! But there was something about the way this guy did it that I meant to bookmark (but failed to). Hence my desire to track it down.

I wish I could recall his name. All I can recall is he was older, probably on the far side of middle age, but still a mite cocky. And apparently he was known for this technique, so he's not totally obscure. I'm hoping this message in a bottle will help me find that video. Thanks again!
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

I recall seeing that video too. Can't remember the name, but it was a guy building fairly high priced basses
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

So I'm not crazy after all. If any clues occur to you, please let me know!
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

This construction more or less restricts you to "neck through looking" designs, wouldn't it?
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Yes, it all seems to be based around a fear of routing.
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

Well, it should allow to make better use out of wood resources, shouldn't it?
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

Jeff -- By Jove, that's it!!

I bow to your Googling skills; this video has been eluding me for over a year. I've now bookmarked this video and hereby thank you profusely! Awesome! :D

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”