Black gloss waterborne finish

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Black gloss waterborne finish

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Hi all. I am doing an electric solid body with mahogany, and would like to finish the back side in a gloss black waterborne finish. Does anybody use something that they like and comes out well, or do you just color a couple of base coats of whatever you use for waterborne with black dye? How much dye do you add? I know they sell black nitro products, but I am not seeing any black waterborne products, but I thought I have in the past. Thanks.
Bob Gramann

Re: Black gloss waterborne finish

Post by Bob Gramann »

I bought Target Coatings EM6600 in black directly from target. I shot 5 coats of Em 6000 and leveled, followed with two coats of the black Em6600, and then 3 more coats of the clear Em6000. You need to be careful levelling the top clear coats so you don't go through. It worked very well. The EM 6600 would like a 1.9 mm tip. My tip is 1.3 so I diluted it a bit with pure water until I could get it to spray well. Overall, it worked well but it was more work than just spraying everything gloss clear.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/ ... k-lacquer/
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: Black gloss waterborne finish

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I do have a nice Fuji HVLP sprayer. However, it is not really worth setting up, putting up the plastic curtain around the whole house ceiling fan, and then all the cleaning. I usually just brush with a retarder.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”