What have you guys been up to?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hey MIMF,

I haven't been on for a long time, since I've had to focus on my dental practice.
Today feels like the first time logged on in a long while.

JC Whitney

Re: What have you guys been up to?

Post by JC Whitney »

Apparently everyone else has been busy this summer too (me included). A while back I signed in, checked for recent posts, and (as I remember it) there had only been one new post in the previous 72 hours. A little while later someone posted a thread,"has anyone heard from Charlie?" and I started to get really nervous. Apparently it was just a lull, but I was sweating it for a while.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Yeah, it was me looking for Charlie. He got back to me, so all is good.
I think everyone is either on vacation, or busy in their shop.
My work is very busy also. I have been doing both, but mostly focusing on two builds I have going.

One is a 5 string bass, and the other is a 6 string electric. I am in the spraying stage on both right now.
Getting excited. :D
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Traffic has been traditionally way down in summer, for the last 20 years of the forum's existence. Too many people on vacation, keeping their children occupied, or whatever.

I was making good progress on a pair of mandolins (see the 20th Anniversary section), until a surge of work and care of an aging parent got in the way. Hope to get back to it soon!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I am getting back in the shop after a lag of about 3 years. So far this summer I have repaired 2 violins, built a parts caster including the pickups, restored an Epi Les Paul, and am in the middle of a major repair on a Gretsch 7-string. I hope to get back to my half completed OM real soon. It feels good to be productive again.
MIMF Staff
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Barry,

It'll be good to have you back making cool things again.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Any updates guys?

On my end:
- Got new staff. My new full time dental assistant is pretty awesome. My new receptionist is really good too.
- Finally have time for a hobby again, I'll be building an OM for Paul Carmody (designer of the Overnight Sensations speakers, which sound really good).
- Finally getting back to building instruments again.
I was going to do some ukuleles...got some sinker redwood to resaw into tops.
- Been swimming with the Master's group. My goal is to finish a workout without cramps. Been having good gains, but sprained my shoulder with bike accident.
- Got hooked building speakers...built some Overnight sensations, then Quarks.
Personally, I think that it's nice to have tasteful french polished wood-veneered speakers that aren't being sold..

Return to “Jam Session”