Avoiding staining/bleed out on woods?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Lau

Avoiding staining/bleed out on woods?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hi Mimf,

This is a noob question, but I haven't built in a long time.
I'll be making some port orford cypress ukuleles and flamenco guitars, and I'd like to use an ebony centerstrip and bindings.

Any tips on avoiding bleeding into the wood?
I'm not sure if I need to just use shellac prior to binding, but not sure what to do with the backboard binding (to avoid leaching).

I'd tried to build a guitar with Camatillo Rosewood, but found the dark areas would leach into the pale sapwood and create a muddy purple tint.
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Avoiding staining/bleed out on woods?

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Ebonies are less prone to bleeding than the rosewoods. Usually to minimize bleeding I will "mist" on the first couple of coats of finish and allow them to dry before spraying any wet coats.
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

I am dealing with this with rosewood bindings and maple perfling. A can of spray shellac proved the solution, as I am using shellac as my finish. Dusted lightly several times; it seals off staining when dry. I was told they use vinyl sanding sealer for lacquer finish.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Thanks for the tip!

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”