Guitarbuilding outside?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Matthew Lau

Guitarbuilding outside?

Post by Matthew Lau »

My "workshop" is stuffed with dental equipment.
For my sanity, I want to get back to building instruments again.
I'm thinking of build a portable workshop to build comfortably outside...on the beach, in the park, etc.

Do any of you guys build guitars outside?

I'd be curious what type of jigs, tools, you guys use.
Brent Tobin

Re: Guitarbuilding outside?

Post by Brent Tobin »

It would really depend on the weather. Where I am, my A/C dehumidifier Is taking two five gallon pails of water out of the air inside !! I wouldn't dream of working outside.
Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

I did parts of two bass builds outside. Mostly the coarse work on the body. Which means "silent" power tools like a jigsaw and a mobile drill rig. Otherwise hand tools.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

For a "workbench" you might want to get a workmate. Very portable and very handy.
Most power tools had manually operated precursors, so you might search the flea markets for eggbeater drills, coping saws. back saws, hand planes,etc.If you want to stay with"power" there are battery powered versions of almost all the common corded power tools.
Building smaller and less refined instruments might be less challenging and more doable when working al fresco. I enjoy building cigar box ukes and formica bodied strum stick type instruments,and can see how they could be done out of doors and with limited tooling.
A traditional carpenter's tool box could hold all the tools and some of the supplies you might need and a canvas tote could hold the wood and other supplies.
Planning what you want to accomplish on a given outing and only taking what is needed might help lighten the load.
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

I do my sanding outside and am amazed how fast the sound board warps. It balances out easily/quickly so no damage. Once the sound box is assembled I'm careful with time out in humid air. But even today in Atlanta with a high of 90, humidity will be 50-60% till a thunder storm comes through. I sand in the shade under a fan; watching the gage. 30mins-hour then back into ac is easy to do.
Just no assembly outside in high humidity.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I forgot to mention that I'm in Northern California, in a small area that's generally 60-80 degree F yearlong.
Since I'm on an Island in the SF Bay Area, humidity is pretty constant.

We have crappy politics and crazy politicians, but the weather is generally pretty nice....except today, where it's strangely foggy and overcast.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”