Bow Ties....

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Ryan Mazzocco

Bow Ties....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Hey all! So, my dad has recently stumbled into a new hobby. He's started using scraps of wood around the shop to make wooded bow ties. At first I was like... :? :roll: but now that he's got some done they actually look pretty cool and people are responding well to them. He's also going to start making a smaller size that can be used as hair bows for girls and also start making cuff links.
But to this point he's left them raw. I was thinking that might not be such a good idea since oils from skin and other dirt and grime will make them start to look pretty nasty before too long. So, the question to the group: What kind of finish would be good for these? It needs to be something that won't irritate skin and will play nice with dress shirts.
Jim McConkey

Re: Bow Ties....

Post by Jim McConkey »

We need pictures!

Behlen makes a finish specifically for food-use salad bowls, so it should be skin safe. No information available on whether it is dress shirt safe, but worth a look. Most woodworking places should carry it.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Tru-oil might be a good option. Let's see them!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I have never made any bow ties, but I have made string ties. In the spirit of sharing photos, here is one of the ones I made. It's made from a fingerboard....a real Luthiers Tie.
Now let's see yours!
Attachments
string tie.jpg
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

And here I thought there was going to be a Dr. Who reference. "Bow ties are cool."

Shellac and tung oil is my suggestion. Get a can of Zinnser sealer and Formby's tung oil and it'll last the entire span of the project. One wipe of shellac then one or two wipes of oil. You could go one step further with some wax. Goes on quickly with t-shirt scraps (out the door in a week), has low odor (could apply at the kitchen table), will stand up against hand and face contact, and looks great.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Mark, I'm not sure of the size of the silver things at the end of your string tie, but those would even be better for musicians if you would put a 1/4" or 1/8" audio plug on the ends!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Hey, good idea! I'll remember that.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Here's a batch he just did.
After he makes them his wife wraps a band around the middle and sows it on for the neck strap.
bow ties 1.jpg
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I totally see those attached to hair clips/barrettes. I bet that would sell like hotcakes at craft shows and such.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Jam Session”