Wood resawn from my tree for my flat top projects

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

Wood resawn from my tree for my flat top projects

Post by Brian Evans »

I tried out my modified bandsaw over the past few days, resawing some wood for my two flat-top guitar projects. I've decided to make two sister guitars, using the same body mold, one a traditional classical guitar and the second a steel string in the Martin O-12 NY style (12 fret neck, wider nut, slotted headstock, minimal decoration).

My neighbour gave me a chunk of a maple tree that fell down in his yard, I got roughly 250 board feet of rough sawn maple, most of it kind of curly and some spalting on the outer third of a board. I've used it for a few necks so far, but I pulled out a neat looking board and cut some sides and backs out of it. These pieces are quartersawn, with decent figure and of course the rather dramatic spalting. I'm going to try them out and see what they do. I've used spalted maple in the past and found it very stable, so I have hopes that these pieces will be the same. I have some sinker redwood with a bit of curl to it, I used it for an archtop with great success. I got two top sets out of a 15/16" thick board, one is a bit thin at .110" thick at one edge, the other set is .150" after planing. I plan to use the thinner set for a classical top and the thicker set for the steel string top.
Attachments
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Wood resawn from my tree for my flat top projects

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Brian,
That will make some unique looking guitars. Have you bent sides from spalted wood and do you do anything different when you bend them?
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

That's great! Glad that setup is working well for you.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I haven't bent spalted sides yet, that is part (a big part!) of the experiment.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”