Walnut For Back and Rims

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Eric Knapp

Walnut For Back and Rims

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello, I am looking for the back and sides for first build with the cedar top. I have this walnut board and I'd like to know if this would be a good choice.
Walnut Board
Walnut Board
The top two-thirds are quarter sawn. The good clear area is about 9" by 42" by 1 1/4". It is very old, I've had it for decades. That pic is out in the sun. I cleaned up a bit of it with a block plane an made a mockup back.
Back Mockup
Back Mockup
How does this look? Is it a reasonable board for a first build? I have the ability to resaw.

Here is a mockup with the images flipped.
Flipped
Flipped
Thanks,

-Eric
Bill Raymond

Re: Walnut For Back and Rims

Post by Bill Raymond »

Yes to walnut; your board should be fine.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Looks good to me. I like the orientation in the first picture for aesthetic reasons. That walnut will go well with the cedar and rosette IMHO. Walnut is also really easy to bend so it is a good choice for a first.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Walnut also makes a nice neck, as does cherry.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I use Walnut all the time! And I would use the second orientation, I like the flame and I'd put that part in the lower bout. That looks like nice stuff.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Mark may have changed my mind. On my little screen, I thought the figure was saw marks that hadn't been taken out yet. If it is flame, then yes, I would put it in the middle of the bookmatch but orient it upsidedown from how you show it so the most of that figure is in the lower bout end.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

The walnut I've Tested, which is moslt American black walnut, has measurable properties very similar to those of soft maple. Walnut is said to make a 'dark' sounding guitar, while maple makes a 'bright' one; I have to wonder how much the color gest into that. Walnut bends really well, glues nicely, and is very stable. I've used a bunch of it overt the years; at present it's my favorite wood for 5-string fiddle B&S and neck.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”