Bass bridge question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dennis Salvage

Bass bridge question

Post by Dennis Salvage »

Hello all, newbie here.
I am preparing for my first bass build.
I've been building drums for a number of years and a bass playing friend asked if I would consider building a bass.

I'm very excited about this. I have decided on most of the parts I want to use, but am still researching bridges. Does anyone here have any experience with the KSM Foundation Bridge? There are a few videos on Youtube, but I would appreciate hearing from a builder. I noticed it provides more sustain and a bright sound. Most of the players in those videos think it provides more vibration to the body, but it sounds to me like it prevents vibrations from reaching the body, so you hear the strings minus the wood tone. They like the brightness and don't adjust the tone controls in their reviews. Hence, my question. Will it make the sound that bright always, or can the tone be adjusted for more bass and punch?

I originally planned for a Schaller roller bridge in my build, but am very open to any suggestions from experienced builders.

Thanks all
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Bass bridge question

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

David King is one of the forum's bass builders.
I am currently building my first bass.
David advises using Hipshot bridges.
I think he said a Hipshot B bridge in particular.

I have decided to go with a Babicz bridge. As I am not done yet, I can't tell you much about it other than that the Babicz bridges are very well built. I have used them on my electric guitars with great results.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Dennis Salvage

Post by Dennis Salvage »

Thanks Gordon
Gregory nangle

Post by Gregory nangle »

you can also make your own bridge! i make basses and i make my bridges from cast aluminum, but you coudl very easily use steel and make your own, saddle pieces i turned on a lathe and bought hardware form MSC, good luck!
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Got any pictures, Gregory?
MIMF Staff
Gregory nangle

Post by Gregory nangle »

sure here is one of a bass in mid build. you can see the bridge is screwed to the body ,its drilled out the accept teh string through but you can also slot them to pass through at the rear if you want.

Gregory nangle

Post by Gregory nangle »

here is another that shows it clearer:
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Nice.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

A milling machine is helpful for making bridges though I'm pretty sure Leo Fender made his first bridges with just a drill press, a hacksaw, a vice, a file, and a hammer.
Dennis Salvage

Post by Dennis Salvage »

Thanks guys. Sweet work Greg! I don't have a lathe or any milling type tools, and since this is my first build, I think I'll go with one that's already made.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”