My Rickenbacker 650D copy

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Michiel Wildenberg

My Rickenbacker 650D copy

Post by Michiel Wildenberg »

Hi there,

Been a while since I've been here, since building has disappeared to the background for a couple of years. But last week I finished a new build of a guitar-model I always wanted to have, a Rickenbacker 650D.

Here's the result, hope you guys like it. It's definitely my best build so far:

Kostenlos Bilder hochladen

Cheers,
Smeigel
Michiel Wildenberg

Re: My Rickenbacker 650D copy

Some specs:

Neck: Maple
Body: Walnut
fretboard: Some kind of rosewood
scale: 24"
pickups: Filtertrons

It has a 4 way rotary switch to select Neck, neck+bridge out of phase, neck+bridge in phase, bridge.
The other control is volume. In my experience I almost never use a tone control so I left that one out.

It has an aluminium control plate and I used sincspray to shield the cavity. Almost no hum.

It sounds really fat for a filtertron loaded guitar. That surprised me a bit but overall i'm very happy with how it sounds :-)
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Nice looking guitar!

Don't forget we require full real names here, not handles. Please update your user profile.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Alexander Higgins

Post by Alexander Higgins »

Nice Job! I always liked that body shape, been thinking about a short-scale bass build using that design. What did you use for clearcoat?
Michiel Wildenberg

Hi there Alexander,

I used Tru-oil. About 6 layers just wiped on with some clear cloth (old t-shirts). Nice finish although I should polish it with steelwool.

@ Jim: Sorry for using a fictional username. I have no idea how to change it to my real name in my account settings. It must be more then 8 years since i've been on the forum :shock:
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Just send me a PM and I'll fix your username, thanks.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”