maddening string rattle

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Robert Smallwood

maddening string rattle

Post by Robert Smallwood »

Hi.
I have a strat with a wilkinson VS type trem

the problem is the e 1st string rattles virtually all the way up including the very last fret with nothing between it and the bridge.

I've spent ages with 600 grit looking for high spots and have tried the nail polish down the grub screw trick but nothing works.

the problem has reappeared after being apparently fixed quite a while ago. the bridge saddle lock screws are tight

the b 2nd string has the same problem to a much lesser extent - from about 13th fret up..

I have no idea where to look next.

Please help! :o)

Thanks,
Rob.
Chris Reed

Re: maddening string rattle

Post by Chris Reed »

Have you checked the top of the saddle? If it has a flat spot or dent, that might be the cause.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Yep.
If the rattle is still there even at the last fret, you can pretty much rule out frets.
If the bridge saddle is rounded, not having a nice square leading edge, then it must be the saddle.

Unless there is something loose in the bridge. or something loose in the spring cavity?
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
David King

Post by David King »

Other things that can rattle sympathetically are the tuners, string tree, volume and tone knobs, pots, output jack, internal wiring, strap locks, and truss rod. A stethoscope might be helpful in tracking down the rattle but I'd start by banging on the guitar with a fist starting at the headstock, going down the neck, and across the body.
Gregory nangle

Post by Gregory nangle »

also check the pickguard which can also rattle

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”