Trying to find info on wood processing company

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Pete Dyke

Trying to find info on wood processing company

Post by Pete Dyke »

Several months ago I saw some marketing info on Madinter's website about some back and side sets that were being processed with some proprietary process which seemed to significantly darken and I think they claim strengthened traditional hardwoods. I don't see that info anymore on their website...so maybe that process turned out to not work so well. But when I tried to investigate more, I think I tracked down the source supplier to Indonesia or some other southeast Asian country. I'm guessing it was some kind of torrefaction process or some kind of chemical treatment they were doing. But as I recall, the woods were very dark and stunning in their marketing info.

I was just wondering the other day that if this is a legit process, and with CITES changes...maybe this would be a process that could be used on some US or otherwise country specific/domestic hardwoods that tend to be underutilized due to color preferences that people (me included) tend to have for darker back and side wood options. Things like black locust, osage orange, if treated in a legitimate way to darken to look more like the rosewoods that many seem to prefer might be an interesting option for luthiers moving forward.

But, since Madinter does not seem to be touting this anymore, I'm left to assume that maybe this process was not all they were cracking it up to be.

Does anyone know more about this or have any info on what Madinter was doing and if they in fact stopped? I'll reach out to them on Monday if nobody here has any quick insights.
Jim McConkey

Re: Trying to find info on wood processing company

Post by Jim McConkey »

Sounds suspiciously like torrefied wood, which has been processed with heat and controlled humidity in a special oven to simulate the process of natural wood aging. I have no experience with it, but many people swear by it. I did find one mention by a big guitar manufacturer that seemed to suggest Madinter as a source of their torrefied wood. Just google "torrefied wood" or "torrefied guitar" and you will get lots of information. And don't forget our extensive Library, here, too. Torrefied wood has been discussed here at length several times over the years.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Pete Dyke

Post by Pete Dyke »

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with torrified topwoods, which do darken a bit. But these back and sides really blackened up, leading me to believe it was something different. If my memory serves, it was so dramatic that very light woods were coming out rosewood like, almost ebony like. I think it was something more than just torrefaction.
Mark Fogleman

Post by Mark Fogleman »

A few builders have been using torrefied/artificially aged/roasted/toasted/baked/etc/etc :roll: wood from Grant Goltz (Whitespruce on the http://www.luthiercom.org forum). He's known for sourcing underused tonewood. Might want to contact him.
Pete Dyke

Post by Pete Dyke »

Ah...found it. I guess they are just using it for bridge blanks, fingerboards and headplates. It's called Blackwood Tek, and they take a pine from New Zealand and treat it with chemicals, pigments and then kiln dry it. The specifics on the wood are:

Blackwood Tek

color: Black

Origin: technologically modified Pinus radiata from New Zealand.

Density: 800-1050 kg/m3 50-65 lbs/ft3

Uses: fingerboards, bridges, headplates.

Interesting to see how it might work out.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Hmm, is this another company's take on Rocklite? If so, is it possible that the "real, sustainable wood" that is the material foundation for Rocklite could be a similar simple wood like pine (as opposed to paper fibers in Richlite)?
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
David King

Post by David King »

Sounds a lot like the once upon a time Alowood: http://www.treehugger.com/green-archite ... alnut.html
Pete Dyke

Post by Pete Dyke »

Why yes it does. Yes it does for sure. :?

Well, interesting concept at any rate. Maybe not as much for the musical instrument world, but flooring and decking, it might just make sense if it works and is cost competitive.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

David King wrote:Sounds a lot like the once upon a time Alowood: http://www.treehugger.com/green-archite ... alnut.html
Ha, that product even uses the same pine!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”