What next?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

What next?

Post by Brian Evans »

My red archtop has been delivered and I can't decide what to do next. I am going to rough out several necks. I am thinking of a Ken Parker style experimental instrument, a 1924 L5 replica, or an homage to my 1946 Epiphone Zephyr. I just found out today that when Loar was at Gibson the L5 backs were birch, they only started using figured maple after he left.

Brian
Beate Ritzert

Re: What next?

Post by Beate Ritzert »

And now? How did You decide?
Brian Evans

Re: What next?

Post by Brian Evans »

Heavily leaning towards a Parker-homage instrument using my "asymmetrical" body shape, upper bout sound hole a-la Parker, fixed height bridge with a Howe-Orme floating neck. 25.5" scale and a 1.85" nut width, around 2.35" bridge string spacing. I have a quilted maple back/side set and a pretty high grade spruce top for it. Not quite sure about doing the "violin" style body edge joint. Part of what makes this style appealing is the large window into the inside of the guitar, it is all there laid out for all to see. That leads you towards making the inside as pretty as the outside, which is interesting to think about.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”