Sansula

F Murtz

Sansula

Post by F Murtz »

Has any one any tips on how to make a Sansula (which seems to be a kalimba mounted on a stretched skin)
Would the skin be stretched on an open backed frame or closed? and how would the kalimba bit be stuck to the skin?
This is so far just an idea floating round in my head.
How to stretch the skin on what is the first problem.
I have an old dried out skin off a banjo mandolin that has torn itself into a circle about 10" round if I can figure out how to make it pliable enough. I am going to put a new skin on the Banjo
Jim McConkey

Re: Sansula

Post by Jim McConkey »

Please note that Forum rules require that you use your full name, not an initial. Please edit your profile and add your name.

Be sure to read the Bowl Drum discussion in this section. Basically, you soak the head in a sink or large bowl of water overnight and it becomes very pliable. You stretch it over your frame and tack it in place while it is wet, and it will become taught as it dries. I imagine the kalimba is just glued to the top, after it has thoroughly dried.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
F Murtz

Post by F Murtz »

Who says that F is not my full name?
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Is it?
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

You might want to watch this video on bodhran construction. At about 5:00 he applies a water-based glue to the rim, stretches the wet head over it, and just "clamps" the rim with a piece of elastic until both glue and head dry. He says he actually prefers gluing to using tacks or laces because he almost never sees tearout, which occurs with the latter two occasionally.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

I think this is similar to a topic in another thread. I guess this thread shed a light on my question.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

Jim McConkey wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm You might want to watch this video on bodhran construction. At about 5:00 he applies a water-based glue to the rim, stretches the wet head over it, and just "clamps" the rim with a piece of elastic until both glue and head dry. He says he actually prefers gluing to using tacks or laces because he almost never sees tearout, which occurs with the latter two occasionally.
I've checked the video and found it very entertaining and educational.
Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

I thought you may find this article useful about the different styles of bodhran and techniques:

medium.com/@cassidybole0712/exploring-different-bodhran-styles-and-techniques-f79631e6d1c0
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

That link does not appear to work, Allyson.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Allyson Brown

Post by Allyson Brown »

Thank you for that Eric.

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”