Bending purpleheart

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andy Bounsall

Bending purpleheart

Post by Andy Bounsall »

Does anyone have experience bending purpleheart. My first attempt didn't go well.

I use a heating blanket sandwiched with the side and two metal slats. I tried bending it dry at about .110 thick. In attempting to get the wood to relax, I had the blanket cranked up hot enough to scorch the wood. The side ended up cracking in several places.

Next attempt will be to bend it wet and wrapped in foil to hold the steam in. I'd be interested to know if others have had success with purpleheart and if so, what worked best for you.
Bob Shanklin

Re: Bending purpleheart

Post by Bob Shanklin »

If bending sides, try a sandwich of wood at about .080" spritzed with water, wrapped in craft paper, wrapped in foil shinny side in, blanket on top, metal slats top and bottom. Bend at 300*ish F .
You might want to watch Grant Golz vid on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jr124qCNkw . I have been using a system very similar to Grant's for about 10 years, but I put the blanket under the top shim rather than over. Works like a charm.
David King

Post by David King »

Purpleheart is a bunch of different related species (11 I think) with slightly different characteristics.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I've never tried to bend thicker than .095". .110" seems very thick to me.
Andy Bounsall

Post by Andy Bounsall »

Thanks for your replies. I've built a number of guitars but have been away from it for a decade. Now I'm back. It's surprising how much you can forget in that time!

I'll give it another go: thinner, dampened, wrapped in foil. Thanks again.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”