Book

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Greg Steil

Book

Post by Greg Steil »

What would our hive mind suggest as a good book(s) for building guitars? What I am looking for I guess is a sensible "work order" for lack of a better term. I have built several Weissenborn copies, and Ukes, but every so often I find myself wondering if I should have waited to do process/step x until I did step ?. Thanks
Peter Wilcox

Re: Book

Post by Peter Wilcox »

This is still the best I have found, and cheap at $30. Explicit steps, pretty well illustrated, and alternative methods for both steel string flat top and classical. It got me through my first instruments, and they weren't even guitars.

https://www.cumpiano.com/our-guitarmaking-textbook

Some of the methods may be a little dated, but he has additions and updates on his website. https://www.cumpiano.com/gtt-updates--commentary
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

+1 on Cumpiano. Still the best I've seen.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Cumpiano is great but the order of construction is somewhat muddy since two different guitar builds (classical and steel-string) are interwoven throughout the book. I find Benedetto's Archtop book to be a very clear presentation of the building process.
MIMF Staff
Keith Howell

Post by Keith Howell »

Doug Shaker

Post by Doug Shaker »

I'll second Keith's recommendation. The Gore construction books are comprehensive, well-justified and smart. Expensive books, but cheaper than a nice soundboard, back and side set. Well worth the money.
-Doug Shaker
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I think everyone should at least read Cumpiano. That said, I don't do anything close to the order he does. There are as many ways to make a guitar as there are guitar makers. Each task can be completed in different ways depending on your available tools, skills, preference. . . the way you chose to accomplish each task can have an impact on when you do that step or even a different step.

I found it helpful to make a spreadsheet that listed every task that goes into making a guitar from drawing plans to final set-up. I then spent time moving things around to try to group them into phases (planning, stock prep, box assembly. . .) each step had a number/code and I tried to have adjacent cells for each step that listed steps that must be completed prior and what can't be done until that step is complete. I never truly finished but it was a good exercise for several reasons. It showed my how related each task and method is to other task and that my order of operations changed as I adopted new preferred methods. It also helped me get a more organized general plan. I still use an incomplete version of it for each project where I check off what I have completed. It helps me identify tasks that I am free to start on when I get shop time and helps me avoid wanting to do a task and realizing that I am not yet ready to. Also, "MAKE A BRIDGE GLUING CAUL" is bolded so I don't close the box without making one to fit that bracing.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

Also, "MAKE A BRIDGE GLUING CAUL" is bolded

Yep, that's a good one Bryan :o
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

I bought Cumpiano's book 5yrs ago and Alex Willis book with plans, making an OM. I got around to starting a Weissenborn and OM this summer and plodding along.

The two books show how to build the OM different ways but wind up with similer guitars. I got neck joint plans from Cumpiano's web site. But, I got a tremendous amount of information from you tube and blogs.

I have been making things from wood all my life and learn by getting several books on a skill and read till I see what they all in common. Start building and correct mistakes. I have a second OM sides, top and back bent and glued up and about to install the sound hole design.

Cumpiano's book is the starting point to understand the process. Everything else is embellishment.
Mike Spector

Post by Mike Spector »

With all the info on the web, the main thing is to get out there in your shop and start making something. Make the main jigs you will need first. I would suggest you use cheap or even recycle wood for your first. I'm working on my eighth steel string and still haven't bought a book but I've gathered enough info and printed it out and it fills 2 big notebook binders. Also it's easier to build from _good_ set of plans.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

The web is good. I love Youtube for instructional information. But the OP is looking for a "sensible work order". The best place to get that would be a book. It is also easier to put a book mark in a book to save your place.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”