Re-attaching self-adhering Fishman parts

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Ryan Mazzocco

Re-attaching self-adhering Fishman parts

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I recently completed a custom commission guitar for a client. Long story short, I let him have it for a very large and important show on new years eve but told him I wanted it back to make some modifications. In the mean time he had the fishman infinity matrix system installed. The battery case had come detached. It didn't matter much since I needed to remove the whole system to do what I needed to do anyway. But now I'm wondering how I want to reinstall it. The adhering tape that comes with it is no good now. After a little research I've found out that it has a bit of a shelf life anyway; as in if it sits on the self too long the sticky goes bad. I don't want to to use just any double sided tape as I'm afraid it will be an eyesore through the side port. I don't want to super glue it as that could make it a little too permanent. I'm thinking of using the "masking tape/super glue trick." Any problems with this? am I overlooking a better way?
Last edited by Jim McConkey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed spelling in title
Michael Jennings

Re: Re-attaching self-adhering Fishman parts

Post by Michael Jennings »

Velcro.
Barry Daniels

Re: Re-attaching self-adhering Fishman parts

Post by Barry Daniels »

I would clean off the old adhesive and replace it with 3M VHB double stick tape. The kind with the red peel off layer. This is the strongest double stick tape on the market.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”