CUSTOM FRET BOARDS

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself here.

CUSTOM FRET BOARDS

Postby Sharon D Spry » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am

I'm new here and I'm not sure how this works. I would love to find someone who makes custom Fret Boards. I need something for an instrument I've been making, I'm good to go on everything except the Fret Board. I hope to find that help here. TY, SD SPRY [/i][/b] ;-)
SD SPRY
Sharon D Spry

Re: CUSTOM FRET BOARDS

Postby Brian Evans » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:52 am

In what way custom? There are many suppliers of fretboards, in many woods, sizes, slotted or unslotted. What you need will influence where you can get it.
Brian Evans

Postby Gordon Bellerose » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:03 am

I will echo Brian.
We need a bit more information to steer you in the right direction.
1. Guitar or other instrument?
2. Special wood?
3. Special scale length?
3. Multi-string configuration?
4. Fanned frets?
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gordon Bellerose

Postby Sharon D Spry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:48 am

OK Gentlemen, here is what I need ;-) I'm not sure of the wood type, maybe rosewood, I'm open for suggestions. This is for a instrument kind of new to this big ol' world, it is called a FIDDOLIN and it starts out as a Fiddle and finishes as a Fiddle on one side and a Mandolin on the other, the Fret board for the Mandolin is what I need. Without the nut but with the binding, white 1/8" x 1/4", 1" wide across the nut end and that includes the binding. There are 20 metal frets and the body end is the wave style, @ fret 12 the width is 1 1/16", @ fret 15 the width is 1 5/16", the total length on the long side or right side is 9 3/4", on the short side or left side is 9 1/4". My measurements include the binding on three sides, I make the nut myself ;-) TY and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ;-)
SD SPRY
Sharon D Spry

Postby Sharon D Spry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:06 am

After more measuring I believe the fret board could be 5/32" thick, not 1/8".
SD SPRY
Sharon D Spry

Postby Barry Daniels » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:31 am

Why not make it yourself. It's not that hard.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Postby Sharon D Spry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:23 pm

For the past 18 months I have been learning & improving my new blessing, collecting needed tools for what I'm learning. At the beginning Big Daddy had a man who made the fret boards for him, but the man joined a band & is on the road, so here I am. I have researched the fret board making requirement's & I'm interested in learning that skill, but realistically that will need to be skill to be learned in about a year. Till then I need a few made for me, I will need at least four a month, possibly as many as eight.
SD SPRY
Sharon D Spry

Postby Bob Gramann » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Contact Andy Birko birkonium.com. He does custom CNC work and can program up what you need and produce them in quantity.
Bob Gramann

Postby Sharon D Spry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Dear Mr. Bob Gramann, I want to thank you with all my heart for your help. I hope I'll have great results to tell you about.
Thank You, S.D. Spry
SD SPRY
Sharon D Spry

Return to Introduce yourself here!