'bilnd' fret slots.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Robert Smallwood

'bilnd' fret slots.

Post by Robert Smallwood »

Hi.
I'm working towards doing blind fret slots.

What's a reasonable distance from the edge of the fretboard to the end of the blind slot?

I was thinking 1-2 mm (1/16)

Also what are the things to look out for?

Thanks,
Rob.
David King

Re: 'bilnd' fret slots.

Post by David King »

A width of .050" or 1.25mm is what I've seen and it worked out well.
Obviously the thing to look out for is shrinkage across the width of the fretboard that causes the fret ends to push the wood out each end. That would not be pretty.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I have bound fretboards with both wood and plastic from 0.060 to 0.080 and installed frets with the ends over that just fine. I always put a drop of CA under the end just to make sure and give it a little tap with the hammer to make sure its well seated. I also file the tang so its a hair narrower than the end of the slot - both to make it easier to insert and to avoid what David describes.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Robert - this is a CNC slotted board?
Not that I have anything to add, just curious.
I just cut slots the old fashion way and bind with FB off-cuts if I want that look.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Robert Smallwood

Post by Robert Smallwood »

I hope so. :o)

I'm learning a couple of modelling progs at the moment.

Using the fretboard trims is a good idea!!

Thanks.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I am not sure what this is. Are you saying the fret slot and fret tang do not go all the way to the edge of the fretboard, while the fret itself goes all the way to the edge? If this is what you are talking about, wouldn't it be simpler to just rip a thin piece of the fretboard off each edge, cut the fret slots and then reglue the cut edge pieces as though they were binding and then fret like you do a bound fretboard? It would be virtually invisible and much simpler.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”