Bass bridge - is this going to be an intonation problem?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Bass bridge - is this going to be an intonation problem?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I picked up this bridge from GFS as I have a short-scale bass in the build queue in my head...

After receiving the bridge, I discovered that unlike most bridges I've seen and worked with, the saddle adjustment for intonation isn't a screw-adjustment. The saddles simply slide in a slot and are locked with a set-screw. Because the strings when tuned to pitch block access to this set-screw, I'll have to loosen the strings, position the saddle to the pre-determined correct position, then lock it. According to the folks at GFS, this type of bridge has been seen on Ibanez and Warwick basses, but I've been unable to discover any published tricks as to how this can be accomplished with a fair degree of accuracy.

My thinking is to mark the position of the front edge of the saddle when the intonation is correct using a piece of painter's tape, which should allow me to get the saddle back into the right position after loosening the string.

Anyone have any better ideas?
GFS_Bass_Bridge.png
==Steve==
David King

Re: Bass bridge - is this going to be an intonation problem?

Post by David King »

Marking the correct location with tape has worked for me. I use a similar intonation system with my bridges with no complaints. You may find that you still can access the locking set screws with the strings on and at tension. Using a ball-end allen key driver makes this a lot easier.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, David. This seems like a nice, solid bridge. Good thought about the ball-end allen key. I don't have one that small, but that can be remedied...
==Steve==
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

It was probably cheap enough to live with an occasional adjustment.
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Dan Smith wrote:It was probably cheap enough to live with an occasional adjustment.
Oh, it was - about $20 - and I'm not concerned about it keeping its adjustment, just getting it adjusted in the first place looked like it might be a little frustrating.
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”