Finally finished semi hollow, set-thru neck long scale bass!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Adam Gardner

Finally finished semi hollow, set-thru neck long scale bass!

Post by Adam Gardner »

I started this project roughly 15 years ago, and it kept getting put on the back burner while I worked on other things. The bass is a 36 inch scale, tuned B-E-A-D
Passive classic Jazz pickups with pickup covers made from scrap from the body, and a piezo pickup under the bridge. The knobs are Magneto(Volume, Volume, Tone), Piezo(Volume, Tone). The front switch is in/out of phase and the back switch is series/parallel for the J-bass pickups. Right now the volume and tone for the piezo just blend into the other pickups, but it doesn't work how I wanted. I'm just going to put a third DPDT switch to switch between magneto/piezo.

The neck is maple/wenge veneer/maple veneer/wenge veneer/white oak with a coco bolo finger board.
The body has a bookmatched purple heart/maple veneer/wenge veneer/Bookmatched maple back with birdseye maple electronics cover.
Ebony knobs, vintage NOS Fender J-Bass fretwire, abalone and MOP inlay. All electronics are shielded. I don't remember where I acquired the tuning machines, but I liked them.
I'm in the process of winding new multi-coil pickups for the bass to experiment with different sounds.
I still need to finish the setup to get the action as low as I prefer. Overall, I'm just thrilled to be able to play this thing after so many years!
Attachments
IMG_20160528_172634.jpg
IMG_20160708_001709.jpg
IMG_20160707_235757.jpg
IMG_20160708_003339.jpg
IMG_20160708_003138.jpg
Randolph Rhett

Re: Finally finished semi hollow, set-thru neck long scale bass!

Post by Randolph Rhett »

Very nice! Marvelously inventive and unique. I see many "unique" guitars where I have to scratch my head and ask "why?" Yours feels like you had a vision and it makes sense. Of course it looks like it belongs in William Murderface's hands, but that's a good thing!
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

Coo-ool!
Kinda wicked organic look.
Love it!
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Adam Gardner

Post by Adam Gardner »

Thanks! I was going for the unholy love child of Carl Thompson, BC Rich, and Alembic. I spent a long time making sure the bass was comfortable to play while sitting or standing, and that the balance was as neutral as possible. I'd be honored for Murderface to play it. Haha.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Love the purpleheart and cocobolo. Very nice color scheme.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Adam Gardner

Post by Adam Gardner »

Here's a video to show the contours of the body.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99i19 ... sp=sharing
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Nice use of wood combos too!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”