Guitar Fetish locking tuners

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Guitar Fetish locking tuners

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I've seen a number of positive comments regarding some of the tuners offered by Guitar Fetish.

Has anyone tried their Sperzel-style locking tuners? I've long wanted to upgrade my MIM Strat to locking tuners, but always choked at the cost. However, if the GF offering isn't worth installing, I'll be just wasting the money...

Thanks!
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Guitar Fetish locking tuners

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

The GFS locking tuners are worth it. I've used a few sets.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

I have some of there sperzel style. I do worry a bit about the durability of the threads on the locking pin but I haven't really tried to turn one until the threads strip out. I did get a bad one but GFS replaced it no questions asked.

I do like the Wilkinson EZ lock tuners that GFS sells as I'm a big fan of fewer moving parts.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

If these are the same thing as the Chinese made machines I bought through amazon, then yes they're fine. One shaft has a little tweak in it, but you only notice when changing strings and making multiple turns. I think I paid under $25, and free shipping.

The only thing I'm putting on my guitars from now on are the Hipshot Grip-lock open gear tuners. I put them on two so far, and they're damn sexy. Again, through Amazon you can get 6 inline staggered or standard for under $60 with free shipping.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Jason - are those Hipshot tuners available for a 6-inline configuration?
==Steve==
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

I'll have to check out those hipshot tuners too!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Steve Sawyer wrote:Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Jason - are those Hipshot tuners available for a 6-inline configuration?
Yep, just search Hipshot Grip Lock on amazon.
Jerome Hess

Post by Jerome Hess »

Ive used them on 4 different guitars and like them a lot.

I can say that they are pretty much exactly like one of the emay vendors.

However, the amazon vendor, whose name is right on the tip of my tongue I just cant get it. is a few $ cheaper, but it takes no LESS than 14 days from the time of your order.

Last set I actually forgot I ordered, until they showed up.

j
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Jerome Hess wrote:Ive used them on 4 different guitars and like them a lot.

I can say that they are pretty much exactly like one of the emay vendors.

However, the amazon vendor, whose name is right on the tip of my tongue I just cant get it. is a few $ cheaper, but it takes no LESS than 14 days from the time of your order.

Last set I actually forgot I ordered, until they showed up.

j
Yeah, that's a toss-up you'll have to consider with the Sperzel knock-offs: pay a little more and have them sooner, or pay a few dollars less and wait 2-4 weeks for shipment from China. A couple times I haven't noticed that shipping time estimate until after I've ordered, then promptly canceled.

Another thing I like about the open gear Hipshot tuners is they are lighter.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Jason - thanks for the recommendation on the Hipshot Griplock tuners. Very nice indeed. Our company has a program whereby you can award "points" to co-workers, employees or managers (really a nice program), and the points can be redeemed for various things. I cashed in some of my points for $50 worth of Amazon gift cards and bought a set of those Hipshot tuners for my Strat.

I also picked up some of the GFS Sperzel-style locking tuners in both chrome and gold when they were running one of their 10% off sales. They're almost as smooth as the Hipshot tuners and a little stiffer, but they certainly seem to be very nicely made with a good finish. Now I have a dilemma - for my Tele project, should I use the vintage Kluson-style tuners I have, the Fender tuners I'm salvaging off of the Strat or use the GFS locking tuners?

Decisions, decisions...
==Steve==
Jerome Hess

Post by Jerome Hess »

looks like one of the amazon vendors that ive used in the past is stocking some models here in the states (prime)

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Tuning-Ma ... ar++Tuners

the other one, musiclily, is the one from Cn on all his stuff, he has great prices and good quality but that month long wait s a killer.

however these tuners are all I use now, mostly in black, and they work quite well.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”