Buffing Fretboards

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andrew McSpadden

Buffing Fretboards

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

This might not be the section for this discussion but here goes.

What buffing compound are you using to buff out fretted fingerboards for that smooth polished surface?

Thanks!
Brian Evans

Re: Buffing Fretboards

Post by Brian Evans »

What wood and finish is on the fretboard?

Brian
Andrew McSpadden

Sorry, I am talking about ebony and RW fretboards without finish.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I use household lemon oil after the thing is fretted. Before it's fretted I sand to around 800 or so, but without finish you can't really buff, I don't think. I might use wax, but wax is a finish, and if you want an unfinished fretboard for playability or other reasons, I wouldn't use wax on it. Maybe lemon oil is technically a finish as well, but I think of it as more of a preservative.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Lemon oil is scented mineral oil. It is not really a drying oil but it will shine up.

I buff the wood and metal in separate steps. The wood fretboard after sanding to 600 grit gets a coat of clear, hardwood wax (carnauba), or old-fashioned floor wax polished by hand with a soft cotton cloth.

After the frets are installed I mask off the wood and buff the metal frets with grey compound on an 8" diameter cotton buffing wheel.
MIMF Staff
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

I take the fretboards, before installing frets, to 2,000 grit. I know people argue that above about 800 you are not doing anything to wood. However, in my experience with a variety of woods from Cocobolo, EIR, Ebony, Paduk, and recently even Lychee, doing the additional grits gives you a shine and feel that 800 does not.
Dave Stewart

Post by Dave Stewart »

I agree with Randolph. I used to take mine to 2000 and then buff with Mez. (Have a separate buffing wheel for ebony.... even a 6 or 8" .... it'll get black)
Tough to beat that beautiful, silky patina ebony takes on after buffing.
Attachments
in the shop 18-18.jpg
in the shop 18-18.jpg (17.64 KiB) Viewed 18404 times
Dave
Milton, ON
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I certainly agree that the sanding up to 2000 grit makes a nice gloss. That's apparent in the photos. But I seem to be able to get the same gloss with my technique of honing the ebony using a plain paper surface. It seems that ebony is soft enough to be "honed" in place of using ultra-fine grit sandpaper. After sanding up through 600 grit 3M wet-or-dry paper, I then turn the paper over and do one more hand powered set using the back of the sandpaper wrapped around a cork pad. It buffs the ebony up to a nice shine. This is a lot quicker and easier than going through a whole additional number of grits. I wish some people would try this is see if you works for you. It was a good time saving step for me when I was doing a semi-production run of necks.
MIMF Staff
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I concur - Using the back of the paper immediately after P600 certainly does burnish ebony to a wonderful sheen. It works.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Larry Davis

Post by Larry Davis »

A brown paper grocery bag surface is equal to 2000 grit sand paper.
Larry Davis
Gallery Hardwoods
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

That's a good tip. I'll be trying it for sure. I suspect that if it works on ebony, it will work on other woods as well. I read here 100 years ago about using brown paper like grocery bags or the packing paper stew mac ships with. I totally forgot about it until I read this here.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Larry Davis wrote:A brown paper grocery bag surface is equal to 2000 grit sand paper.
That certainly is some useful stuff.

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

Up Jack got and home did trot,
As fast as he could caper;
And went to bed and bound his head
With vinegar and brown paper.

And after it healed, I hear the scar was very, very smooth.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

It not only works on various woods, but it will work on shell inlay too.

If you want to sand finer, then do so. But you still might want to have this paper bag hone trick in your quiver. It can also be useful to show any coarse sanding scratches that weren't completely removed by the next finer grit.
MIMF Staff
Andrew McSpadden

Dave Stewart - you have the info I am looking for! What Menzerna compound do you use on the buffing wheel?
Andrew McSpadden

At some of the places I have worked we buffed the FB with frets and all for a great feel to the board and shiny frets. We used stick compound (which compound I don't remember hence the thread) on a seperate buff.
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

I used swirl remover to buff an Ebony board. That stuff got into the grain and I spent a lot of time trying to get it out with Naptha and a toothbrush.
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yeah, buffing compound should not be brought anywhere near wood. Use abrasives for wood and compound for metal and finished surfaces.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”