I'm sorry, we don't have any in stock right now....

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Ryan Mazzocco

I'm sorry, we don't have any in stock right now....

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

So, I'm getting to the point where interest is being shown in my guitars. I have people approach me and ask to play one of my guitars to try it out. Problem is, I build them and sell them. I don't have any guitars in stock to show. Do you guys build any guitars just for the purpose of having something to show customers? If you're building for spec like I do then it would make sense as long as you don't overstock. But even if you're mostly doing custom builds I would assume a potential customer would like to sample your work before forking over a deposit and making a commitment on a large purchase. I'm sure some of you can sell solely on reputation (there are several of you that I would buy from if I had the money without ever actually having payed your instruments before. But I tend to be rash anyway.) So, do you try to keep several guitars in stock at all times, or do you just build and sell when they sell even if it means selling out?
Mark Swanson

Re: I'm sorry, we don't have any in stock right now....

Post by Mark Swanson »

I have orders to fill, so I build those guitars and the only ones I have around are the ones I play. The only time it is a problem for me is when I go to shows where I have a table or a booth and don't have any new instruments to display.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Weir

Post by Dave Weir »

I've been making guitars for a few years now, and I average about 2 a month. Almost all are built to order, but if I have some down time I'll make for stock. Usually some new wood I want to try that no one has ordered. I usually post them for sale right away and they usually go pretty quick. If I demo them then I'll mark them down a bit. Virtually all my sales are on line, so I don't really keep any around specifically show, but there is usually one or two in the house. Here is number 67. Mahogany body & Cumaru Neck.
Attachments
67.1 small.jpg
Perry Ormsby

Post by Perry Ormsby »

Ive literally never had any guitars for people to try for 12 years. They need to take a leap of faith, or find an owner. I guess we had each guitar that we did finish, but you'd have to visit the day it was completed or it was shipped out...

We finally managed to build some spares for NAMM this year, and they went down a treat.

But, if you have good photography, and good testimonials, plus can relate to your customers, having zero stock isnt necessarily a deal breaker. However, it is nice to have something you can show them.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

I have built a few "for me", but these tend to get sold too. Most of the ones I have around the house are a few oldies / oddities, by which I would not want to be the judged by potential customers, if they were not already familiar with my recent work. I currently have a one pretty nice guitar that I take to gigs and festivals etc, but its getting dinged up too, so not really "show room" quality any more. Not that my usual customers care about stuff like that, they are mostly working musicians, not collectors anyway.
David King

Post by David King »

I've been occasionally bidding and winning instruments of mine that come up on ebay. It's a good way keep them off the open market at basement prices and maintain the brand value. It's a bit depressing when no one else will bid on an instrument at 1/3 it's original value.

Return to “Jam Session”