Electronic violin

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
F Murtz

Electronic violin

Post by F Murtz »

Having got this far, any suggestions for a shoulder rest?
Attachments
Violin 008 (600 x 450).jpg
Violin 005 (600 x 450).jpg
JC Whitney

Re: Electronic violin

Post by JC Whitney »

Disclaimer - I don't play violin, don't own one, and have never made one.

With that said... how about two dowels sticking out perpendicular from the flat spot between the tuners and the end, supporting a comfortably contoured kidney bean-ish shaped shoulder rest? Maybe removable so it still packs up nice and small?
David King

Post by David King »

I've always used a "Kun" shoulder rest and I'd figure out a way to adapt one of those if it were to be my instrument.
F Murtz

Post by F Murtz »

JC Whitney wrote:Disclaimer - I don't play violin, don't own one, and have never made one.

That is my problem till now, have made a strum stick and half made a mandolin.
I saw someone had made a violin from a bit of 2x4 so I thought I would give it a go but he did not say much about rests.

With that said... how about two dowels sticking out perpendicular from the flat spot between the tuners and the end, supporting a comfortably contoured kidney bean-ish shaped shoulder rest? Maybe removable so it still packs up nice and small?
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

David King wrote:I've always used a "Kun" shoulder rest and I'd figure out a way to adapt one of those if it were to be my instrument.
My Yamaha SV120 violin uses a modified Kun shoulder rest in the size for the smallest violins. But also that one will not fit easily on Your instrument unless You add a plate to mount it. You might search the net for pictures of that instrument.

Another approach is to add an "anchor" shaped extension to the body that has the size and curvature of a standard instrument and gives the player the freedom to chose the rest he or she usually prefers. The shoulder rest is a fairly individual choice, and IMHO that freedom of choice should not be taken away from the player.

Another remark: unless the player explicitly wishes something different it is wise to follow the traditional shaping of the neck. It helps with the orientation on the instrument.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”