Moisture IN Poly Finish

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Dave Gentner

Moisture IN Poly Finish

Post by Dave Gentner »

I'm resetting the neck on an old Yamaha F-110. After steaming out the neck there are milky splotches on the top of the guitar. I assume this is moisture that has penetrated the finish. If this was a nitro finish I would lightly wipe it with denatured alcohol, but this finish is poly something. The alcohol does nothing. any ideas on how to remove the milkiness?
Ryan Mazzocco

Re: Moisture IN Poly Finish

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

be careful. If you steamed too much it might actually be the poly separating from the wood. I've done that on a cheap model before. can we see a picture?
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

Don't think its separating. Tried a hair drier to no avail.
Attachments
milk.jpg
milk.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Sometimes polishing the area with an electric buffer and polishing compound will heat the finish and pull the moisture out. Certainly couldn't hurt as long as you don't overdo it.
MIMF Staff
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

Buffing was the first thing I tried.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

You don't have an F-110, you have a red label FG-110, which is very different, and a pretty good guitar, from the early 70's.
This one has a lacquer finish and alcohol will mess it up big time so don't use it.
This will wetsand off with 600 grit paper, then buff off. It's on the surface, happens to me too.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

You're correct Mark, it is a red label FG-110, but the finish is not lacquer. It's poly. Acetone doesn't phase it. I work with nitro cellulose lacquer everyday. It's the only thing I shoot on my guitars. So I'm familiar with the product. I did manage to get rid of the milkiness however, basically with heat, using a combination of a hair dryer and much buffing.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Well, I don't know for sure what they used then, but back when they were made in the 70's they didn't have much to choose from. The finish is very thin, not like poly you see these days.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dave Gentner

Post by Dave Gentner »

I stand corrected. After reexamining the finish I believe it is lacquer. I thought I had touched it with acetone, but realized I hadn't. I was basing my assumption on the way it reacted to the alcohol. I lightly touched an inconspicuous spot with acetone and it softened. So my apologies Mark.
David King

Post by David King »

I was a little surprised the other day to discover how susceptible lacquer can be to alcohol. I was cleaning up a 70s Fender bass under the pick guard and the alcohol immediately melted the lacquer as if it were shellac.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Alcohol is sometimes one of the components in lacquer thinner.
MIMF Staff

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”