Guitar Building in Spain

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Randolph Rhett

Re: Guitar Building in Spain

Post by Randolph Rhett »

The woodworker in me guessed at the wedge, but it is good to see it for real. My only real experience of classical building is Cumpiano's book which doesn't use that method. As for the bridge patch, its good to know that many builders consider it unnecessary. It adds complexity to the build, and didn't make much sense either. I don't have a classical planned, but I wanted to build a uke for my daughter. The bracing seems very similar and likewise doesn't have a pinned bridge.

Now, if only I could convince my wife that I NEED to spend three weeks in Herradura...

Oh, and find the wining lotto ticket to pay for it!
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

John Kingma wrote:
Beate Ritzert wrote:Maybe he should have sold the first one?
:?:

Why...??

If I was in his shoes I would never sell my first one.
Me neither. of course my first one is a total embarrassment. Actually my first two. when people come to my house and start looking at my guitars I try to direct them away from those two. One thing I learned though is how hard it is to make a guitar, even a bad one. For Evan to nail it the first time like he did is great.
Greg

Post by Greg »

IMG_2428.JPG
Another photo of the wedged neck joint at Spanish heel.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Greg, we require the use of full names here. Please go back into your registration and add your last name. Thank you.
MIMF Staff
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

This is a really entertaining thread John.
Evan should be very proud of his accomplishments. That looks like a GREAT vacation, indeed!
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

John Kingma wrote:
Beate Ritzert wrote:Maybe he should have sold the first one?
:?:

Why...??

If I was in his shoes I would never sell my first one.

Ok, i can really understand.
I did not sell my first guitar either, and that was a flying V made of plywood in a *very* amateurish build "quality" (the guitar sounds really good, i actually got an offer...). I would not give away my other self-made instruments either (these are just a handfull, so i am necessarily in the stage of a beginner...)
John Kingma

Post by John Kingma »

The first guitar I built was an electric - for Evan actually. And even though he has a few more guitars and better guitars than the one I built for him he says it's "his baby" and he will never get rid of it. Well he has a new baby now but I know he will still keep the electric I built for him.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
John Kingma

Post by John Kingma »

Hope it's okay to post an update in this older thread.

Evan ended up being offered an apprenticeship with Stephen Hill. He just got home for a short visit (to renew his visa) after being there for about a year and a half. In that time he has built 5 guitars of his own and 7 guitars for Stephen... his "2a" models. http://www.stephenhillguitars.com/guita ... itars.html

Some of Evan's own work can be seen here - http://www.evankingmaguitars.com/3823978

And here is a video of a local guitarist where Evan lives in Spain playing 3 of his guitars. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4mEkeTsgSU

He has become quite a craftsman in a relatively short period of time, far better than I am or ever will be. I'm quite proud of him.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
Beate Ritzert

Post by Beate Ritzert »

Cool to see the early steps of the hopefully successful professional career of Your son. Thumbs up!
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

What an outstanding opportunity.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”