Supplied air face mask?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Arnt Rian

Supplied air face mask?

Post by Arnt Rian »

I seems I have developed some nasty allergic reactions to certain wood dusts :roll: My doc has given me some cortisone pills, so I'm OK for now, but I need to avoid contact with the dust as much as possible, so in addition to the shop upgrades including better dust collection, filtration etc., and hopefully changing some of my work methods to create less dust, I'm looking into supplied air face mask systems. Here are a couple I have found on the net

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002X ... r_asin_lnk

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-trend- ... rod719697/

Anyone tried any of these? Any good? Other, better systems?
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Supplied air face mask?

Post by Charlie Schultz »

I have the Trend Pro and it works well, particularly when I use it <g> (I don't have any allergies that I know of). It's the only one I've tried, so I can't compare it to other systems. It does accommodate my beard, which is a plus. The fans are a high pitch whine, but not too loud. The battery seems to last long enough for me (it starts beeping when it gets low).
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Thanks for your reply, Charlie. So you don't find it too heavy, then? I see some folks have commented that they dislike having the battery pack up there on top or their heads...
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Not too heavy, no, but it does take a little getting used to. I find it relatively easy to put on and take off. If I were constantly bending over something (tilting my head), it might be different. I mainly use it when turning and at the tablesaw (I know I should use it more).
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

I recall there having been threads here before discussing mask options. 3m was definitely one of the options discussed but i don't recall if it was this system or one taking air directly from outside. Hopefully some of the mask users will chime in.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

So these respirators still take the air from the working environment and "purify" it rather than supplying it from an outside source?
Sorry to hear about your allergies Arnt. Have you pin pointed which woods are giving you problems. or is it just wood dust in general?
This discussion might get a more general response in the "tools and jigs" section.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Hi Clay, so far I know Madagascar rosewood and probably ziricote is bad for me, but I fear those are just the beginning (I have also developed pollen allergy over the last few years, and some fruits are no longer possible for me to eat etc.). So I have to change my ways! Those masks just use the air in the room, correct. Daily charging of the batteries, changing filters often, always seeing everything from behind a windshield, as well as putting up with at least some sound from the fan is also part of the deal (as well as looking even more like a dork than usual). Yeah, this is probably the wrong section of the forum...
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Note- moved from Jam Session to Tools & Jigs.
Halgeir Wold

Post by Halgeir Wold »

Hi Arnt---

FWIW - but several people have modded the Airshield to carry the battery pack in the belt, so similar....
at least it takes some weight off your head.. :-) Battery packs can also have much better capacity this way..
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

I Have a remote air supply respirator that has a hood that covers the head. I found it on Craig's List, there is no name on it, so I can't tell you who made it. The hood is waterproof, ripstop nylon and is fastened to a face shield much like the ones used for wood turning and such. The motor and filtered air supply can be up to 40 ft. away, because that is the length of the air supply hose that I have. The head gear is very light and visibility is good, at least with a new or relatively new face shield. The disadvantage is in moving around the shop. The supply hose is large (1" diameter or so) and stiff, so to is a pain to drag around the shop, and I only use it for situations where I'll be in one place for a while, particularly for spraying. If I'm sanding rosewood for a while, in one place, it works virtually perfectly for keeping me from breathing dust, but I still use my down draft sanding table and shop air purifier to help prevent dust build-up in the shop.
Anyway, it restricts mobility in the shop, but it is light weight because the working parts are remote to the respirator itself so it is not too uncomfortable to use. I'm thinking I might eventually put a hose reel or two overhead in the shop so I can pull down the air supply hose and perhaps move around more without having to drag a stiff, heavy hose around the shop floor.
Woodrow Brackett

Post by Woodrow Brackett »

I've got a friend who runs a cabinet shop that has an Airshield. He tried the "regular" and pro version, and prefered the "regular".
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200492 ... hield.aspx He said the pro version was alot heavier. I suppose the non pro version would be available on your side of the pond.

I use one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/380261092883 when I'm spraying polyester, but it would be a pain to try to move around the shop with it on.
I need a signature here.
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

The ebay link shows something very similar to what I have, and yes it is a pain to move around the shop using it, so I seldom do.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Thanks to all who responded. I just ordered the Trend Airshield Pro (from Axminster in the UK, best price I found), with extra filters and hearing protection. We'll see how it goes...
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

So what is the advantage of having a fan powered respirator that supplies the same air as is in the room over using the typical non powered one? I'm guessing they make it a little easier to breath, and have a little better air exchange.
For noxious dust I use the heavy duty dust masks the hospitals use. They are much better than the light duty ones commonly used in wood shops. I find most respirators fairly heavy and uncomfortable to wear.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Clay, they are supposed to be much more comfortable to wear over extended periods, they have better visibility, and its easier to breathe, as you say. Part of the problem (for me, anyways) is that I also need to avoid getting the dust in my eyes, as it makes them water and my eyelids swell. I guess a non-powered alternative could be a "gas mask" style one, but the ones I have tried tend to fog up, the straps are irritating, as is having the rubber material directly on your skin, etc. They are no good if you have a beard (which I usually don't, but...) I'll probably still use a my regular 3M respirator for spraying nitro.
John Hamlett

Post by John Hamlett »

Just a prediction based on my own experience: you will no longer use your 3M respirator to spray nitro.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Also the fan creates a positive air pressure inside the mask, keeping dust out (and it kind of feels nice).

Please let us know what you think of it Arnt.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

Charlie Schultz wrote:Also the fan creates a positive air pressure inside the mask, keeping dust out
Yes, I forgot, but that is probably the biggest advantage of these. I'll try to remember to report back....
Nelson Palen

Post by Nelson Palen »

I have the Trend Airshield Pro but rarely use it as it is very cumbersome to put on as well as remove and takes up a lot of space when not being used.
Other than that it's okay. :) With that said, the filtered air passing over the user's face has a cooling effect as Charlie alluded to above. I have the ear protection option with mine also.
The unit does it's job as far as provided dust free air but "dust free" has it's limitations as it is not a 0.5micron HEPA filter. Sorry to sound negative here, just trying to give the facts as I see them.
The only reason I bought it a year or two ago was to replace a similar but much simpler 3M unit supplied by Airware America. I've had that unit for probably a dozen years and could no longer get replacement batteries. http://www.airwareamerica.com/
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

...and, you're telling me this NOW?!! :x

:lol:

Well, I realize its not the perfect cure-all, but I'm willing to give it a shot, if it helps even a little. As it is now, my allergies are keeping me from working in the shop altogether, hopefully it will allow me to do some work.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”