What other things do you guys make?

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.
Matthew Lau

What other things do you guys make?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMFers,

Last Healdsberg guitar festival, I learned that Bill Moll moved away from arch tops to making high performance tactical gun silencers. Personally, I'm thinking of making kitchen knives on the side for fun.

What else do you guys make (aside from tool cabinets)?

-Matt
Eric Baack

Re: What other things do you guys make?

Post by Eric Baack »

a cnc router, bunk bed for the kids, washer/drier risers, entertainment center, etc. I made a free floating quad rail for my AR15 in the shop at work a while back.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Beer(stout, to be more specific)...

Pickguards and pickguard material....

Actually, it'd be easier for me to list the things I don't make..!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Most recently, four 4x8 foot raised garden beds for my wife. And moving lots of dirt.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

I'm doing some simple electronics stuff lately: building a simple condenser and balanced piezo pickup preamplifier.
Oh, does making music count? ;)
David King

Post by David King »

I make knobs, pickup rings, pickups, headless hardware, truss rods, strap pins, cover plates, truss rod access covers, switch tips. I do a lot of resawing and wood dressing for some violin makers. I make soups, sandwiches, breads. I also make cutting boards, spoons, chisel handles, knife holders.
I need to get back to making drawers. If I had it all to do over again I think i'd try to make a little money.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Wowza!

Yup. Music counts :)
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

David,

How are you making your drawers?
I'm thinking of making a Systainer-like thing out of wood to hold my guitar tools.
I'd like something modular that stacks and clips together--and looks nice, and made of wood.
David King

Post by David King »

Matthew, I have a simple dovetail router jig from bosch that I got 20 years ago and used to make some very simple furniture for myself. I need to figure out how to get the drawers to come out the right width after the dovetailed joints go together. I'm sure it's a lot simpler than my mind is making it. I've thought about the wooden systainer too. I'm not sure it's such a great idea with casework being inherently delicate but I'm sure there's a way.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If you want to build a "sustainer" style box in wood you might look at ammo box designs. Stackable, strong, simple, and crude.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I make beer, I make songs, and when I'm on my game, I make students consider new points of view.
Kaptain Karl
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Pizza & Gypsy Jazz Zazous! (look it up :-)
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Craig Bumgarner wrote:Pizza & Gypsy Jazz Zazous! (look it up :-)
That's the little bird from The Lion King, right?
Sorry, I have small children.
Ah who am I kidding, I love that movie!
John Dallas

Post by John Dallas »

Toys.
More precisely, Playmobil-compatible toys in wood and/or plastic. The first was a 30cm electric-motored steam launch for the Navy Personnel set, followed by a stockade fort (modular) for the US Cavalry and an Irish tower-house (with dungeon) for the knights and lansquenets. Then came a mock-up steam loco and bogie coach for the old Playtrain gauge O system (which corresponds to 750mm narrrow gauge from a Playmobil perspective) with modifications to other original Playtrain rolling-stock.

Great fun! I'm not doing much in that line nowadays, because my children have grown out of Playmobil - but the grandchildren are starting to take an interest in it. What I would like to try my hand at is Playmobil-compatible musical instruments. My 2 1/2-year-old grandson is very interested in my real musical instruments, so he might be a customer in the near future!

Cheers,
John
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

mistakes....
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

Eric Baack wrote:mistakes....
Ahh, forgot to mention that on my list...
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

David, my recommendation is to make a "test" drawer out of scrap.
You can use it to tweak the settings to your ideal.
Generally, people tell me to make the carcass after the drawers (I've never done this).

Anyways, hope everyone is well.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

"Generally, people tell me to make the carcass after the drawers (I've never done this)."

I hope those people weren't Cabinetmakers! Usually you make the drawers fit the holes. For dovetailed drawers the front and back of the drawer box should be the width of the opening - minus the thickness of the glides and an additional 1/16th inch to give a little play (if using side mounted glides and separate drawer heads). If doing traditional inset (flush) drawers the fronts and backs of dovetailed drawers should be the width of the opening minus the desired gap at the sides (usually same as top and bottom -generally 1/16th to 3/32nds inch each side)
Bill Snyder

Post by Bill Snyder »

I make messes real well. Occasionally build some furniture, made some knives and in the planning stage to build a kayak or two.
Arnt Rian

Post by Arnt Rian »

In the shop I make the usual odd piece of furniture, tools, kids toys etc. A while back I started making guitar amp and speaker cabinets, and for years I've made traditional wooden archery bows. I usually carry a knife when outdoors, and I love whittling

Return to “Jam Session”