New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself here.
eddie mallory

Post by eddie mallory »

Hello, I'm Eddie. I live in my van so I mostly use hand tools. I just started making different instruments about a year ago. I have been trying to to learn everything I can about sound in order to perfect the sound of my instruments. I have had no formal education in music or instrument making. Trying to learn from scratch and without some guidence it is rather like playing darts in the dark after being spun around a bunch. I think I am lacking in the terminology and am having trouble troubleshooting sound issues via internet searches. I mostly make kalimbas. Here is a photo of my latest. http://rs1380.pbsrc.com/albums/ah188/Jo ... 1422977893 Hand planed desert ironwood top with subtle turquoise inlay in the cracks.
Bryan Bear

Re: Newbie

Post by Bryan Bear »

Welcome Eddie! I don't know thing 1 about kalimbas, hopefully someone else will be of better service. I can tell you that I started with no woodworking or instrument making background and picked up terminology along the way. A big help to me was reading old discussions in the library here. I just kept reading discussions related to what I wanted to do; as many as I could. At first, I didn't understand a good chunk of what people were saying. As time went on I started to get a handle on the vocabulary and different processes/approaches. Eventually I found that I could go back and read things I had read in the beginning and get a whole lot more out of them.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Introduce yourself here!”