"Large" On/Off/On switch

Pickups, magnets, microphones, amps, speakers, cabs, whatever...
Joshua Levin-Epstein

"Large" On/Off/On switch

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

I'm looking for an On/Off/On switch, single pole will do, to replace a set of volume & tone controls in a Les Paul type guitar. The object is to install a pair of Duncan P-Rails in the guitar, with the ability to choose either coil or the coils in series (as Duncan recommends). In the old days I'd drill a couple of holes and install mini switches, but I've changed my ways. I know I can use push/pull pots, but that would only allow one of the coils to be selected.

I doubt that a switch exists that would replace the long shaft Gibson pots, but I was hoping someone may have run into something that will work for typical pots. Fender used 2 way switches of this size in their "Lead" series guitars of the early '80s.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Joshua
Brian Dyskin

Re: "Large" On/Off/On switch

Post by Brian Dyskin »

This [Auction link removed by staff] has 6mm diam hole - is that big enough?
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Brian, links to auctions are still not allowed. The switches that you posted were the same size micros Joshua was trying to avoid anyway.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Celeste Hall

Post by Celeste Hall »

would a rotary switch work? You can get them with up to 12 poles, but with adjustable stops so you can block off unused poles. Up to 4 throws if complex switching is your thing
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

All Electronics has some larger On-Off-On switches. Just Google them, a lot of parts suppliers have them.
Brian Dyskin

Post by Brian Dyskin »

apologies for the link - won't happen again.
Alan Peterson

Post by Alan Peterson »

I like All Electronics just fine. I just wish they would rethink their shipping methods. Last time I ordered from them it was for a pile of resistors, and shipping came to more than the cost of the parcel. They could have just thrust them into an envelope and sent them on their way.

When ordering from a volume house such as Mouser, All Electronics et al, naturally its best to make it a big order to absorb the shipping cost. But I don't always need a popcorn bucket fulla tantalum caps.
Alan Peterson
Name in Anagram Form: "Resonant Peal"
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

Brian, no problem. We are still discussing the old rules, so feel free to throw in your two cents in the TNG Forum Feedback discussion in the Jam Session. Auction links were never allowed because they are temporary at best, and there is no easy way to tell if someone is directing people to their own auction.
David King

Post by David King »

There are "mini" switches and "micro" switches and then normal sized. Radio Shack carries a variety of all three sizes so you could start there just to see what fits. I like the Carling switches and I know Ernie Ball used the larger ones on some of their guitars and basses.
Digi-key and Mouser probably have the usual compliment. Some will have 1/2" threaded barrel some will have 3/8" dia.
Celeste Hall

Post by Celeste Hall »

NKK is giving away free samples, up to 3 switches

Check out their site to see if they have something you can use
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

There are some large toggle switches made for guitars that are a similar size to the Switchcraft toggles used by Gibson:

http://www.allparts.com/4-Pole-On-On-On ... 62-000.htm
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

That switch is only suitable for guitars with bolt-in necks. But it might be a way to get the instrument to feel more "alive" (if the weather is accomodating).
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Sadly, that almost went right over my head Joshua. Caught it just at the last minute... still chuckling.
Leon Van Bommel

Post by Leon Van Bommel »

i once thought of doing a Jimmy Page type job on my Epiphone Les Paul. I wasn't a fan of push pull pots and I didn't want to drill for switches. I came to the conclusion that 4 of these may be mountable on the pickguard. You could run the wires through small groves made in the bottom of the pickup ring. I can't remember how high the pickguard sits anymore, 5/8" is my guess and that's a tad low for these switches but you may get away with bending the tabs out 90 degrees and mounting them on top instead of under neath or something. Or epoxy them on their side facing down with just the slider sticking out. Just some ideas anyways. Hope this helps.

http://www.allparts.com/Switchcraft-Bla ... 61-023.htm

I'm allowed links right?
Roger Rosenberger

Post by Roger Rosenberger »

Those would be great on a "FrankenTele".
Here are the wiring diagrams.

ImageImage

Return to “Electronics”