Neck angle, action

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Atkinson

Neck angle, action

Post by Matthew Atkinson »

I want to lower the action on my guitar. The saddle is getting pretty low. My bridge is 11/32" tall. Would it be possible to reduce the bridge height (and the saddle afterwards) instead of re-setting the neck angle?
-Matt
Thomas W. Felty

Re: Neck angle, action

Post by Thomas W. Felty »

Is there a belly in the top? Have you ever tried a bridge doctor? I think they work great is some incidences. I think they sometimes make the guitar sound better.

Thomas
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Usually a neck set is in order. A lot depends on how high it is now, and how much you want to lower it. if you just shave the bridge it can bring the strings too close to the top.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Shaving a bridge is not a very good thing to do , unless you have a heavy bridge. If the bridge is 3/8 high , shaving is just going to add to the problem down the road. String height off the top will transfer the energy of the string and the lower you go the less energy available. Best advice , if you need a reset , you need a reset. You will be happy in the end.
John Hall

Learn from others mistakes, You can't make them all yourself
Matthew Atkinson

Post by Matthew Atkinson »

No belly in the top. I want to lower the action at the 14th about 1/16". I do think there is a loose brace below the bridge. It's not making noise but there is a wrinkle on the bass side. Have to fix that, too. Better finish up the current one first then do the reset. Thanks, all.
-Matt
Gerry Gruber

Post by Gerry Gruber »

That's quite an adjustment (1/16"). Multiply that by two, and you'd have to remove a full 1/8" off the bridge. Sounds like that loose brace may be the first thing to address, and then have a look at the action after that is fixed.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”