Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

I'm probably doing something wrong, but a few times now, I've logged in and typed up a reply to a thread on the forum and when I try to submit it, I'm told I have to be logged in and the login page pops up, yet it shows me on the site. I'm confused. Then if I log in again, my post that I've already typed up has disappeared from my ability to find it. Let's see if this one goes.
Jim
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: log in and post question

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Jim, sorry to hear that. What browser are you using?

Anyone else have this problem?
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

I'm using safari. I'm not really much of a computer guy, and I could just be missing something. this time I logged in and went to the quick reply at the bottom of this discussion. Let's see if that works.
Jim
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

Okay, that's worked twice in a row now. I'll try to pay attention to what I've done differently when/if it doesn't work for me, and let you know what I figure out.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Jim,
Do you have an idea of how much time elapsed between logging on and posting? Your session may have expired when this happened.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Jim Hepler

Post by Jim Hepler »

Greg, I don't think it was more than 10 or 15 minutes. I do type slowly. How long does a session last before it expires? Once I saw my name at the bottom of a page as being on the site, along with one guest, and yet my post didn't go through. It struck me as odd. This time I used the post reply at the top of the page rather than the quick post at the bottom in case it matters.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

I've had trouble with the Quick Reply button, I just quit using it in favor of the PostReply button. That always seems to work for me.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Jim, the default session expiry with this software is 30 minutes (I'm not sure if Charlie has altered this), but if you select "keep me logged in" it should override this feature, so long as you remain on the same IP address (if you use something like DSL without a fixed IP address it may change over time).
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

ok, I,ve got a question;

Where are the instructions for posting photos here?
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Craig,

Here's a link with that info. You can also find that link by clicking the "Full Editor" button below the quick reply box, and then follow the "BBcode" link on the left of the full editor box.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

EDIT: Also please note that we prefer attachments over linked inline images for things like tutorials, build logs or showing off your instrument, as links have a tendency to go dead over time, but attachments are uploaded to the MIMForum server and are preserved for archiving.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I should add one thing to Greg's posts. You may only post images that you have taken yourself or otherwise have authority to post. Anything else constitutes a copyright violation. If you want to display a picture from another web site, link to it instead of copying the images here.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Thanks Jim, should've remembered that!
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Thanks,

So, posting a tutorial (with photos) about rehairing a bow in the stringed instrument section, would be possible? (All the photos would be mine, or (I'm hoping) from a reply from a poster...)

So, the photos would end up on this site, and not only be accessed by a link or links in the individual posts here, right?

Cool.

is ok to post a tutorial here with what might wind up being many photos in many posts?
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

So, posting a tutorial (with photos) about rehairing a bow in the stringed instrument section, would be possible? (All the photos would be mine, or (I'm hoping) from a reply from a poster...)
Absolutely!
So, the photos would end up on this site, and not only be accessed by a link or links in the individual posts here, right?
Yes, we've found that photos/links on/from other sites tend to disappear over time, which really hurts the usefulness of your tutorial.
is ok to post a tutorial here with what might wind up being many photos in many posts?
Yes. According to the settings, there is a limit of 3 photos per post, but that doesn't seem to be working (that is, you can put more than 3 photos in a single post).
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Charlie Schultz wrote:
Absolutely!
Yes, we've found that photos/links on/from other sites tend to disappear over time, which really hurts the usefulness of your tutorial.
Yes. According to the settings, there is a limit of 3 photos per post, but that doesn't seem to be working (that is, you can put more than 3 photos in a single post).

Very cool, thank you..

I'm playing with the "add photos" information now. I'll get it , it doesnt look to complex... This is going to be fun.

Return to “The Soundhole”