Regarding MIMF & MIMF-TNG discussions and overlap

Talk with the MIMForum staff! This is the section for discussing the workings of this forum. Your suggestions always welcome!
Paul Doubek

Regarding MIMF & MIMF-TNG discussions and overlap

Post by Paul Doubek »

I think I read at first that the current MIMF discussions won't be ported over to this board, but then I think I read on MIMF from Deb that that was still being discussed. I'm still somewhat unclear on whether discussions here are going to be dumped when MIMF-TNG goes live. I don't know how many of us are dual posting, but I was thinking about it as I added to the Tools>Bending Iron threads on both forums. Should we be creating "duplicate" (really similar) threads on both forums, or is that just going to make things messy if you decide to bring over the old discussions?

Probably a small issue in the grand scheme of work to be done, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Paul
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Regarding MIMF & MIMF-TNG discussions and overlap

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Paul, good question. I wish I had a good answer! As far as I know, we are not going to try to move "live" discussions over. If we can hold off one more week I think we can go live here.
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

Why is it that this TNG version has to be deleted as part of going live? Can't it just be rolled into the "real", warts and all? Seems there is already some good information here, why not just keep it going when the old MIMF site is shut down?
Jason Fruit

Post by Jason Fruit »

Over here, there is a note that live discussions at the old MIMF will be moved over as static HTML. I bet a lot of people would like to see them moved over here live.

I'm a programmer with a lot of experience coaxing data into new forms, and if I could get access to the old data and know which database type you are using with phpBB, I think it's pretty likely I'd be able to write a script to get the old data into the new format.

I understand that there may be more reasons than I'm aware of preventing it, but I'd be happy to give it a look.
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Schultz »

Hi Jason and welcome. Thanks for the offer, but we do have kind of a tight timeline that we're trying to meet and doing the static html thing seemed like the best compromise. Maybe you can help us out here? http://tngforum.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 1250#p1250
Jason Fruit

Post by Jason Fruit »

Understood. I'll look at that thread later today.

Return to “The Soundhole”