Making bridge Blanks Martin Style

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
John Hall

Making bridge Blanks Martin Style

Post by John Hall »

To make bridges for a guitar you have to start somewhere. As you will see I use my oscillating sander a good bit for this task as well as my belt sander. I start with a pattern that was a reject from Martin. This is my basic bridge . Here is the order of this process
1st stock material , It may be any wood you want , in this case I have ebony. I start by running it though my sander. How you do this can vary but you want to get your stock to about 3/8 inch. I also want it 6 inches long and about 1 1/2 inch wide.
NOTE: I use a push block for the table saw when working smaller pieces like this. A push stick can catch the blade , jam and give you a BIG OUCH. Please think SAFETY at all times. Look at your set up and look for danger before having to call 911. Never rush and keep your mind on what you are doing.
Attachments
P1010001 (Small).JPG
P1010003 (Small).JPG
P1010005 (Small).JPG
Last edited by John Hall on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Hall

Learn from others mistakes, You can't make them all yourself
John Hall

Re: Making bridge Blanks Martin Style

Post by John Hall »

Once the stock is sized I want to make the wings. I will rough them on a band saw using an old bridge for a pattern , then I make a stop jig so I can sand them to the correct length. As you can see it is not a complicated fixture and it can be modified to work on a drill press with a drum sander. The key here is to make this process repeatable. With a rectangular blank I can do 1 wind , flip it and do the other. I
Attachments
P1010013 (Small).JPG
P1010015 (Small).JPG
P1010008 (Small).JPG
John Hall

John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Okay here is a blank with the wings, we have to refine them. Again another simple stop fixture made up using a pattern. I do rough the shape of the bridge now using the band saw. So you can see the progression of the wood being removed to make a bridge.
Attachments
P1010022 (Small).JPG
P1010021 (Small).JPG
P1010018 (Small).JPG
John Hall

John Hall

Post by John Hall »

The stop allows me a precise adjustment to set the wing and initial bridge shape. Keeping the blank still flat , I am able to flip the bridge as I sand the wing shape and have things square.
Attachments
P1010024 (Small).JPG
P1010025 (Small).JPG
P1010028 (Small).JPG
John Hall

John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Now that the blank has the wings defined , you will have to so some hand work. I place the pattern on the blank and will now shape the final part of the bridge belly. This is done by hand and one reason doing more than one at a time will help develop muscle memory for this task.
Attachments
P1010027 (Small).JPG
P1010028 (Small).JPG
P1010030 (Small).JPG
John Hall

John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Once shaped we need to radius the top of the bridge . I do this on the belt sander but sanding blocks or any other method that works for you is acceptable. Just be safe. Once radiused I do the final shaping by hand and can slot and drill them as needed.
It may take you a few try to dial in the process but you can certainly improve your production and accuracy with some simple jigs and practice. I hope you enjoyed this and I do hope it helps you
john hall
Attachments
P1010033 (Small).JPG
P1010034 (Small).JPG
P1010035 (Small).JPG
John Hall

John Rice

Post by John Rice »

Hi John, that was great it is almost a copy of the way I do it myself but it was great to see it in picture form . I'm sure it will be of great help to any newbie. :D

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”