New Build Neckthru

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Wes Palladini

New Build Neckthru

Post by Wes Palladini »

My summer project is to build a neckthru guitar like my ESP-MII NTB

These are the components I have already baught for it:

Tuners: Gotoh tuners SG38
Pickups: S. Duncan JB and S. Duncan 59
Bridge: Floyd Rose Original R2 Nut spacing
Fretwire: Stainless Steel 6100
Pickup switch: 3 way blade switch, like on strats but only 3 positions
Controls: 1 volume pot, no tone (I never use them)
Strap Pin: Schaller Strap Locks, most reliable and best looking strap locks IMO

Main differences I want to make to the existing M-II are

1) Rightside up headstock
2) Increased recess of the upper cut-away/neck
3) Strat style input jack mounted on the butt end of the guitar and facing up towards the strap pin similar to an Ibanez Jam
5) Ebony or birdseye maple fretboard
5) **Most importantly increase/adjust the angle of the forearm rest on the body for personal comfort when playing standing up. The angle is toooo shallow for me see attachment

I will post more after I come back from soccer cuz I have some burning questions that need to be answered
M-II Mods.jpg
[/hide]
Last edited by Greg Robinson on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Copyrighted image hidden by staff.
Greg Robinson

Re: New Build Neckthru

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Wespalladini,

Please note that we require the use of real full names (first and last) on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your name here, or in a private message so that we can update your registration and login details for you (you are not able to make these changes yourself).

Also, please note that I have hidden the image you posted, because we only allow you to post images you have created yourself, for copyright concerns. Please review our policy.

Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Wes Palladini

Post by Wes Palladini »

My real name is drrrrrrrrrrr (Drum roll) Wes Palladini
Wes Palladini

Post by Wes Palladini »

I took pictures of my ESP and editted them to show some of the changes I want to make: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w470/wespalladini/

One thing I noticed is that there is a notch in the fretboard and the nut actually sits on it. Most nuts I have seen sit after the fretboard as far as I can remember. However I see some advantages of doing this, in some cases if the truss rod ends exactly under the nut there may be no support for the middle of the nut to rest on so having it rest on the fretboard gives it some support. I guess it all depends if you have a thick enough fretboard too.

One question I have is since I am using a floyd rose original (A low lying bridge) do I need any body to neck angle? My gut and from what I have read says no.

My plan for the neck is to build it similar to how ruokangus builds his. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BlQZiR3 ... ure=relmfu) <-- Skip to 0:25

One piece, split into 3, center is reversed. Would it also be worth while to turn that piece upside down as well?
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

wespalladini wrote:My real name is drrrrrrrrrrr (Drum roll) Wes Palladini
Thanks Wes,

Did you want me to add a space between your first and last names?
Wes Palladini

Post by Wes Palladini »

Greg Robinson wrote:
wespalladini wrote:My real name is drrrrrrrrrrr (Drum roll) Wes Palladini
Thanks Wes,

Did you want me to add a space between your first and last names?
Sure
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Thanks, done.
Wes Palladini

Post by Wes Palladini »

I have another question. I don't like the distinct look of neck thru guitars from the front side, as in how you can see the distinct difference between the neck and wings. I guess the alternatives would be:

a) To finish it with a solid colour paint job so you can't see any wood

b) Use a thick cap -The only problem with using a cap is that it has to be thick enough to allow for a deep enough angled forearm rest otherwise I will end up sanding into the wood below it and part of your cap will be missing there. My ESP-MII has a 1" (at least) deep forearm rest so I will probably need a cap that is around 1.25"

c) Use a bendable thin cap - Glue regular size wings on with no cap. Shape the forearm rest then glue and bend on a thin enough cap (1:50-2:25) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eerIO5bDCqM

Advice/thoughts/things to consider would be much appreciated.

Sorry if my writing is confusing. I am thinking of just making youtube videos from now on to explain my thinking instead. I am also trying to write a sort of step by step guide of making the guitar and trying to figure out what exact tools I will need at each step before I begin. Any help would be much appreciated.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on what you want, and it doesn't look too dificult.
The strat style jack on the end could be problematic, that jack requires a flat spot to mount properly, so you will have to take that into account with the body shape. The angle change and cutaway change should be no problem.
As for the neckthru looking different from the wings, there's several alternatives. You could match the wood (like maple for the neck and maple for the wings) so that the seam wouldn't be too noticeable. You could put on a thin (1/4" thick) cap with a sunburst so where you sand through the cap is covered by the burst. Or you could do a solid color.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Wes Palladini

Post by Wes Palladini »

Rodger Knox wrote:Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on what you want, and it doesn't look too dificult.
The strat style jack on the end could be problematic, that jack requires a flat spot to mount properly, so you will have to take that into account with the body shape. The angle change and cutaway change should be no problem.
As for the neckthru looking different from the wings, there's several alternatives. You could match the wood (like maple for the neck and maple for the wings) so that the seam wouldn't be too noticeable. You could put on a thin (1/4" thick) cap with a sunburst so where you sand through the cap is covered by the burst. Or you could do a solid color.
I actually didn't think about the jack requiring a flat surface. I will make sure to take that into consideration.

Matching the wood seems like a pretty good idea too, never thought of that.

Thanks!
julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

Make a simple jig with plywood with the same curve as the body, lay the jack plate into it, and smack it up good with a rubber mallet to bend it to fit.

Jackson does that all the time for the warriors, Rhoads and king v's.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”