Remo Mondo Snare repair

Chris Vallillo

Remo Mondo Snare repair

Post by Chris Vallillo »

OK, first time in the percussion section, I'm usually a stringed instrument guy. At a recent gig, my percussionist noticed that his Remo Mondo snare had somehow taken a hit and sustained serious damage near the snare anchor. The side was significantly punched in. I first assumed that this was laminated wood, but upon dis-assembling the drum, I realize that it seems to be laminated cardboard with a textured, printed top layer.

I've offered to try to repair this, but my expertise is more with stringed instruments. I'd assume I need to insert glue between the layers, possibly something like Titebond, then clamp the section, perhaps re-enforcing it with a thin layer of wood.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, etc anyone could send my way. It's a great, versatile instrument that works extremely well with acoustic and resonator guitars.

Thanks!
Attachments
photo copy 6.JPG
photo copy 7.JPG
photo copy 8.JPG
John Mueller

Re: Remo Mondo Snare repair

Post by John Mueller »

Remo drums are made in the same way as Sonotubes. http://www.sonotube.com/products.aspx
On some of them you can see the spiral wrap under the cosmetic covering. You should be able to glue it back into shape with cauls and clamps. I'd move the mount to another place.

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”