StewMac tools

fipple flute making - step by step

Re: fipple flute making - step by step

Postby Ionut Batrinache » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:55 am

I have a few questions.
for you.
What diameter is the chisel you are using for starting the bore and how much you go inside with it (how deep is the starting hole)?
In the pictures the chisel used for starting the hole looks like it have a bigger diameter than the D Bit, doesn't this make the D Bit wander in the starting hole, or the round tip of the chisel help the D Bit to center?
After you drill full lenght with the D Bit you simpli enlarge the hole with thd spade bit? I think that the 4 mm bore made with the D Bit is used to keep the spade bit centered, but i am not sure if i understand the "phenomen" correct.

Now i am planing my homemade lathe, so i need to fully understand the process. I hope you will have the time to answer my questions.
Thanks!
Ionut Batrinache

Postby Yuri Terenyi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:28 am

Sorry for being late. I haven't checked out this thread for a while.
The tool for starting the hole is exactly 4mm, the same as the D-bit. I go in maybe 5-6 mms. It's done by eye, so can be a bit different. Basically, enough to establish a straight, centered starting hole. I use the spade bit to enlarge the hole to the smallest diameter. For most instruments I make, the bore is not cylindrical, so reamers come into it as the next stage, which I did not illustrate. And even for the cylindrical ones, I use a reamer. For example, if the bore is 15mm, I use a spade bit somewhere between 14 and 14.5 mm, and finish off with a straight reamer.
Yuri Terenyi

Postby Yuri Terenyi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:31 am

Actually, I have a while ago uploaded a short clip about how I bore the 4mm pilot hole.
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtTvDnJ1bU
Yuri Terenyi

Postby Ionut Batrinache » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Thank you for your reply. The starting hole tool looks a lot bigger in the photos.
I can't wait to try what i learned from your tutorial. The video is also great, any others with the rest of the process will be very apreciated, if you have the time to film yourself working.
Can i get your email for another questions in the future?
Ionut Batrinache

Postby Stephen Bacon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Great job Yuri.
Stephen Bacon

Previous

Return to Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments