Home made wind chimes

Eric Schmitt

Home made wind chimes

Post by Eric Schmitt »

I had some spare time so I decided to make a wind chime while I was waiting for parts for my guitar project to come in the mail. Technically it's not an instrument but I thought I'd post it anyway. Everything is made from scraps & leftovers. The support, knocker and sail are all made out of scrap oak wood dyed with ebony stain and a few coats of tru oil for protection. The 3 tubes are let over pieces from one of those bathroom shower caddy things. Shockingly they sound really nice.

Of course when I'm putting everything togetherIi can hear the wind, as soon as I go to hang them the air is dead still! :x :lol:
Attachments
Wind Chime.JPG
Graeme Ward

Re: Home made wind chimes

Post by Graeme Ward »

If you hold it in one hand and hit the tubes with a stick with the other, then I reckon it's an instrument.
Nice job anyway Eric.
Andrew Porter

Re: Home made wind chimes

Post by Andrew Porter »

I made several of those for Xmas gifts. I went overboard trying to tune them. I shortened the tubes to bring them up to pitch. I found that the cutting process heated the tube making it longer and lower in pitch. I finally just cut them to the calculated lenghth. Any variation due to the cutting process was fairly uniform so they were in tune relative to each other.
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”