Cleaning old instruments

Barry Black

Cleaning old instruments

Post by Barry Black »

We have collected a few old horns over the years at garage sales etc which I have decided to use to decorate our family room. They are old brass ones and include a trombone, saxophone, trumpet etc. Some of them are badly stained and corroded having been left outside, I think, for a long time. I would like to make them look a little more presentable, but not new. The musicians in my family tell me to chuck them but I just can't bring myself to do it.
Does anyone know a way of doing this which doesn't involve taking them completely to pieces, or removing the patina which helps give them some character. Preferable I'm hoping for some kind of solution I could dip or soak them in.
Barry
Barry Daniels

Re: Cleaning old instruments

Post by Barry Daniels »

I used to play trombone and I used Brasso on it once a year to keep it bright and shiny. I don't understand the desire to keep the "patina".
MIMF Staff
Tim Evans

Post by Tim Evans »

I use a car tip I got for rusty part that will probably help (But haven't tried on a trumpet).
You can soak the metal in a bath of Citric acid to get the corrosion off. It will take most of the oxide off with little work. You will probably need to polish the metal after you've washed of the acid using a metal polish with something like a Mothers power ball on a drill.
You should be able to buy citric acid powder in the local supermarket. You just mix it with hot water and a little soap. Its good at the job but not harsh on you or when pouring down the sink. You'll need to keep an eye on the metal in the bath and not leave it sitting in the bath for a few days depending how strong you mix the solution.
A bath of vinegar is very similar but not as strong.
Just protect the metal after you finish with a polish to save doing it all again.
Barry Black

Post by Barry Black »

Thanks Tim. I will give this a try.
Barry

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”