Repairing/Fixing Up an Autoharp!

bubblypatrick

Repairing/Fixing Up an Autoharp!

Post by bubblypatrick »

Hi everyone first time user here,

Over winter break my dad handed me an Oscar Schmidt autoharp that belonged to my Grandma. It's not in terrible condition, but it could definitely use some fixing up.

I'm new to instrument repair. I'm a senior in college majoring in Audio Engineering (studio recording and such) and feel I should learn instrument repair and maintenance so any suggestions for help, as well as helping me not create obvious faux-pas would be greatly appreciated!

I think the autoharp was stored in a garage or basement since the piano roll near the chord bars have some water damage. I'm planning on replacing the piano roll, or trying to glue it down if that's not an option. I want to clean the Autoharp, would it be damaging to remove all the strings at once? (I've heard when replacing guitar strings to not remove all strings at once since it releases neck tension.) What products would be good for cleaning?

I plan on unscrewing the chord bar to help access the main wood for cleaning.

Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to improve what I've already mentioned?

Thanks! 8-)
Attachments
Water damage closeup
Water damage closeup
Autoharp Piano Roll.jpeg
Full harp
Full harp
Jim McConkey

Re: Repairing/Fixing Up an Autoharp!

Post by Jim McConkey »

Patrick, welcome to the Forum! Please be aware that we require the use of full names here. Send a private message to me, Charlie, or any of the other moderators with your name and we can change your login for you.

I did a similar save a year or two back. I would strongly recommend against removing the strings. First, use just a a brush with long, soft bristles to get between the strings. It would be kind of tedious, but Q-tips would work great for getting between the strings. You should not need anything stronger than just water, maybe with a little mild soap mixed in.

The one I fixed had a bunch of strings missing. I did a quick tutorial on how to modify guitar strings to work, but I don't know if it made the transition from old server to new yet. Yours does not look like it is missing any. But the idea was to get a wound guitar string of the same size, and then unwind the outer wrapping to the correct length. It worked well fixing mine, and was an awful lot cheaper than a new set of autoharp strings.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Nicholas Blanton

Post by Nicholas Blanton »

If it's been long in damp storage, check to make sure the top and back have not come loose from the frame; there is often a separation of the glue joint of the back, under the tuning pin block , and sometimes the top, too, just in front of the tuning pin block . If those have failed, there's nothing you can do to save it.

You have wood chord bars, which is a good thing; they made them of aluminum for a while and the felt easily comes unglued from that. When you take them off, make sure you don't lose the parts- the springs can get loose.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

An eraser (pink pearl) can be used to clean the wound strings. If the plain steel strings are too badly corroded mic them and replace with guitar strings as suggested. HF sells a wire twisting tool that allows you to make loop ends on music wire.
http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-saf ... 45341.html

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”