Didgeridoo...who knew-s? Looking for a unique part and a better vocabulary. :)

Greg Evans

Didgeridoo...who knew-s? Looking for a unique part and a better vocabulary. :)

Post by Greg Evans »

Hey guys. New to the forum, but a long time maker of goofy noise makers and bad jokes. (knew-s ...knows....never mind.;)

I checked the forum data, but I don't see many didgeridoo post. I was hoping that someone may help me find, and or suggest where to look for a part, and hopefully, give me some better search terms to feed the Google machine.

I will try to explain.... (see attached pic if I can figure out how to attach one.)

I have built several one piece pvc type didgeridoos in the past, but I may be attempting to build a take apart, wooden, travel didge, soon. What I hope to find is a male to female pipe-in-pipe fitting, where the inner pipe has some o-ring(s) to keep it airtight and solid. (no slop) Similar to the way a clarinet goes together. (I may go down that cork path, if I have to..idk) I have seen the type of "coupling", on the high end didgeridoos online, so I am hoping that it a readily available part. Does any of this make sense? I would appreciate any suggestions where I might find this part, or even what it may be called. I've fed every search term I can think of into Google. I am also open to any other ideas about how else to achieve this connection.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Attachments
tube connector didgeridoo.PNG
tube connector didgeridoo.PNG (61.31 KiB) Viewed 25198 times
Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: Didgeridoo...who knew-s? Looking for a unique part and a better vocabulary. :)

Post by Charlie Schultz »

There are some posts in the old library archives too, this seemed to have the most info: http://www.mimf.com/old-lib/didj_design.htm

Use the links in this post to search more: http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 965#p18277
Barry Daniels

Re: Didgeridoo...who knew-s? Looking for a unique part and a better vocabulary. :)

Post by Barry Daniels »

I have never seen such a fitting commercially available. However, it would be relatively easy to make if you had a metal lathe.
MIMF Staff
Peter Cowell

Post by Peter Cowell »

I have not seen joints with O rings but you could use telescoping brass tube. The only break down didges I have seen were made from plastic irrigation stand pipes where one size slides into another. They lock together with a threaded taper lock. This also makes them 'tuneable'.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

If you are making it out of PVC why not use an outside connector glued to one length, and cut a groove around the other length to fit an O-ring into that will slip into the other side of the connector. From a brief perusal of designs it seems didgeridoos can have conical or cylindrical bores and don't need a straight bore. You could perhaps make a folded bassoon or rackett like design using pvc elbows to make a compact instrument.
Some interesting "travel doo" designs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJlAr-2Gw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Visc7QyxlxI
Peter Cowell

Post by Peter Cowell »

Clay Schaeffer has just reminded me of a didge I saw in Kuranda, Qld ,Australia which was circular. In effect it was a tube that had been routed into a square of timber(two halves glued together). The bore was conical. Ideal for travelling.
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Well that'[s pretty cool. Just add a handle.
Maclean Forquer

Post by Maclean Forquer »

Mine is basically just like that, but it's made out of ABS, I think. (The mouthpiece, I mean) It's in Db, then I can take off a piece to tune it to D and unscrew the whole assembly to tune it to E. The main part of the didj is a fiberglass cast of a natural eucalyptus didj. I like the metal, though. I feel like the ABS takes a bit out of the sound.
Might be time to pester your metalworking friends.

Return to “Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments”