Repairing hairline crack

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Enrico Schiaffella

Repairing hairline crack

Post by Enrico Schiaffella »

Hello,
I just repaired a hairline crack on a soundboard. It came out ok. You can just feel a tiny protuberance corresponding with the crack. This is due to the finish. Should I keep on doing it until it’s all gone or I can call my job done? What would you expect from this kind of repair?
Thanks Enrico
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Repairing hairline crack

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I would hope to not feel the crack when I ran my fingers over it with my eyes closed. If I could feel it I would try to add finish over it and sand smooth and buff until I couldn't feel the crack.
Craig Cowing

Re: Repairing hairline crack

Post by Craig Cowing »

For bowed instruments in the violin family a cleat is the normal repair. It's basically a patch of maple or spruce that is feathered to the edge and it straddles the crack on the inside. You may want more than one.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”