Fit the neck or the pocket?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Karl Wicklund

Fit the neck or the pocket?

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I've got a Squier bass with a broken truss rod.

I was readying myself to pull the fret board, when I was gifted a (very cheap imported) finished neck.
What luck, I thought. But, not quite. The radius at the heel of this replacement is tighter than that of the original; it protrudes 3/16" at the center line, perhaps 1/16" at the edges.

So, what do you think is my best bet? (Keep in mind I'm far more adept at hand tools than router use. If I felt good with a router, I think it'd be an easy choice.)
Do I put a new rod in the old neck?
Trim the replacement neck to match the pocket?
Trim the pocket to match the replacement neck?

Thanks again!
Kaptain Karl
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Fit the neck or the pocket?

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

First I would measure everything, which I'm sure you have.
The first concern is scale length. How does trimming anything affect that?

If you trim the neck to a more square shape, it will move the frets back toward the bridge.
Is there enough movement on the saddles to make up for that?
Same for trimming the pocket to a more rounded shape.

Next is the width. If the pocket is tapered, and you move the neck toward the bridge by either method descibed above, the neck could be too narrow.
This is not a major concern but must be considered to have a nice tight fit.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Thanks Gordon.
The two necks are *identical* except for that extra length - there is 3/16" extra beyond the last fret on the replacement. So, trimming either pocket or neck to fit would land the frets exactly where they need to be.

There is no taper to the pocket. The replacement tucks in nice and snug, but doesn't bottom out.
Kaptain Karl
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I would personally trim the neck to the correct radius and length. 10 minutes with a saw, files and sandpaper vs building a router jig. Plus the Squier is probably set up for bog-standard Fender fit necks, so not changing that keeps future option open. Some of those Squiers are great guitars for all that they are cheap to buy.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

That's the way I'm leaning too, Brian.
Sometimes just posting a question here helps me analyze and think about it more clearly.

I'll save the original neck to teach myself about fingerboard removal, etc.
Kaptain Karl
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

I would probably cut the neck. Fitting the neck to the pocket keeps the guitar in tack and you options open should you not like that neck. If you don't like it, you are no worse off that when you started and you can still consider fixing the original, finding a replacement or making a new on. If you fit the body to the neck, you are left with making a new neck and trying to find one to fit as your only back up options.

Plus, I would think it would be easier with hand tools to do a good job on the neck than on the pocket.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”