Bracing on the soundboard too short

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Anthony Bradshaw

Bracing on the soundboard too short

Post by Anthony Bradshaw »

Hi folks
This is my first post as I am a newby. I am currently (attempting) to build my first
guitar which is based on the G J200 jumbo. I never new that making an instrument can
be so rewarding. I am new to woodworking but have joined a wood shed and they have
all the tools required to make a guitar. Never having posted before I'm not 100 % sure
I am doing this right but I have a problem. I have braced the back of the soundboard and
have realized that the bracing is not long enough to fit into the top of the sides when I get
to closing the box. Is there an easy solution? Can I extend the braces by adding wood
or is that a really dumb question. I would really appreciate any help. Cheers.
Attachments
Bracing too short_resized (2).jpg
Barry Daniels

Re: Bracing on the soundboard too short

Post by Barry Daniels »

Which braces are too short and how short are they? Some of them look fine. If it's the upper transverse brace or even the X-brace then just replace them. It's not too hard to do if you have a small plane and some extra brace stock.

Would it be possible to support the end of the braces with small buttresses glued to the rims? There is probably a picture around here of buttresses on a classical guitar because it is not unheard of.
MIMF Staff
Anthony Bradshaw

Hi Barry
I think both ideas sound great. Thank you for you response.
Cheers
Tony
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

When I read your other post, I thought we were talking about the braces on the back not the top. The picture was helpful. Many people do not tuck the top braces into the lining for all the braces behind the X. You look like you have the opposite issue. The braces behind the X are long enough but not in front of the X. There are a lot of forces on the upper bout once the strings are on. I would really want to have those tucked into the linings even if I had to redo the braces. Butrussing may work too.

Take note that if you choose to NOT tuck the braces behind the X you should feather them down to nothing at the ends. An abruptly ending tall brace will concentrate a lot of stress on the end of the glue line.

I just took another look at your picture and have a question. Do you have your rim assembled? By rim I mean sides, heel and tail block all glued together. Have you installed the linings? It occurs to me that you may mean the braces don’t meet the sides but would still be under the linings. It is hard to tell just how far off you are from the picture because I don’t know how close to the final
Shape the top is cut.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Anthony Bradshaw

Hi Bryan
The right hand side of the soundboard as viewed in the photo has very little
wiggle room but the other side has about half an inch. This makes the X brace
about 3/4 inch short. The upper face brace would be about 1/2 inch short as well.
I have not done anything apart from the soundboard and
made a go bar deck and a steamer. Would making a slightly smaller jumbo be an
option? I really appreciate you guys taking time to respond to my post. Thank
you so much.

Cheers
Tony
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Making a smaller body is an option but it that would require some other adjustments that you may not know to consider since this is your first. Let’s back up a bit and get some info on your approach.

Are you following a plan? Is so, which plan? Are you following a particular building method from a book or video? There are many, many ways to put a guitar together. I would guess that few of us here have exactly the same process. This is good and bad. It is bad because you can’t mix and match different methods until you have an idea about how everything effects everything else. An example - you may be tempted to shrink the outline of your guitar to accomadate for the short braces. If you shrink it In every direction, that will move the neck joint which moves the bridge which then may, or may not be supported properly by the braces. . .

I would also recommend not bracing the top until you are ready to attach it to the sides, especially if you don’t have super tight humidity control. With that in mind, I would recommend taking the braces off and redoing them when you are ready to attach the top.

Tell us more about your plans and building method and we can help.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Anthony Bradshaw

I think I will bite the bullet Bryan and remove the braces that need to be redone and
redo them when I am ready to attach the top. I am working to a plan that that uses a
M and T join and as you said I would have to make other adjustments. Another good idea
being my first build to stick to the plan. I am sure that I will come up against some other
issues but as they say I'm living the dream and learning from you good folk.
Again thankyou for taking the time to help out a first time builder billygoat from Australia.

Tony

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”