Repair help - MM Sub4 bass output issue

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Andrew McSpadden

Repair help - MM Sub4 bass output issue

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

I got a MM Sub4 , standard single HB and active electronics 4 string, that has a weird output issue. It only has out put when the string is struck hard and then only briefly and distorted. Battery is good and the pickup reads 6.35K. Solder joints and connections look good. Any suggestions?
David King

Re: Repair help - MM Sub4 bass output issue

Post by David King »

Do you get the same result when the battery is removed? #1 most common issue is the battery leads breaking off or the battery clip not making a good connection. Many active basses will behave exactly this way without the battery.
Andrew McSpadden

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

I think I found it. a diode or transistor on the PCB was fried and fell off when I touched it. Contacted MM to see if I can get a replacement.

Thanks for looking and responding!
David King

Post by David King »

That's a wild one, I wouldn't have thought a 9V battery could put out enough of a sustained current to cause that kind of damage. The other question is was it just one bad transistor/diode or was there another failed component that caused the one to fry.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”