Sta-Tites won't stay tight

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Thomas Wentzel

Sta-Tites won't stay tight

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

Greetings, I have a guitar with the 30s Grover 'Sta-Tite tuners with metal buttons. The button spins on the shaft. Normally, on a plastic button, I'd likely flatten the 'wing' of the shaft a bit and re-insert, or just put on a new button.

Has anyone had success repairing the original metal button? ..solder?

Appreciate any help..thx..Tom
[img][IMG]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/onewent/IMG_8941_zpstpn8eot7.jpg[/img]/img]
Daryl Kosinski

Re: Sta-Tites won't stay tight

Post by Daryl Kosinski »

If it were mine I would remove the tuner from the guitar and take it apart as far as possible clean both parts then solder it back together.

Re assemble the tuner lube it with a few drops of clock oil and you should be good to go.
Thomas Wentzel

Re: Sta-Tites won't stay tight

Post by Thomas Wentzel »

Thanks, Daryl .. I actually was messing around with it yesterday, and I simply put the shaft on a vise, and whacked it with a hammer a few times to flatten the tab a bit. Then I pressed the button back on in my vise. Seems tight, and works well.

If it loosens I'll likely go the solder route.

Tom

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”